JP Basses - SC5 across the big pond!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hman, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Wow, for the talkbassers in must check out JP's work of Art immediately!!:eek: I'm totally in love with his SC5. The bass has an aggressive attack and very strong mid-range cut thru anything. The neck action is low and fast. No adjustments necessary after the long trip. You can dial in the Jaco/Marcus tone with the JP pickups. You can hear the sound of the bass from Ari's demo.

For those of you in the USA and other countries, just email JP for a special order. If you are in SF..... send me an email and I'll bring out my toys.
    I'm very lucky to have the best of the 3 new luthiers' SC5. Check them out. (Carey Nordstrand, JP & Chris Benavente)
  2. Damn JP...Nice work on the last one! I like the color scheme:)

Keep up the good work man.
  3. Sweet, makes me even more confident in my decision. Not that I really needed to be. I like the off angle shot, looks great.

4. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Hehe...the last one is Chris's (nice indeed) work !! ;)

Mine is in the center...

Glad you like the bass H!

Peace, JP
  5. Oi...sorry,that single cut (yours) is a close second:)
  6. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Jp, that is a very interesting desing you have there for the scarf joint and the headstock.

7. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Hi Don,

No scarf joint here. This is what I call the j-Neck. Special construction. I'm not doing those anymore just because it scard too much people basically. You'll fin more info on my site.

Peace, JP
  8. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Yep, them there JP's is the real deal!

Really loving my Plume. All the details are just right - you know? Everything just matches up to form a package that works so well together. And talk about muscles! How can such a svelte specimen pack such brawny tone?!

Hope to give you a holler next time I visit SF, Horace. Please do the same should you find yourself down south. It's not as scary as you think down here...

Looks like you've got a great SC collection brewing.
  9. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Next to the Benavente an Nordstrand single-cut designs, I have to say that JPs is one of my favs. I love the curves of the off-set body, and the upper bout isn't too big, which is what seems to make so many sigle-cut designs downright unattractive.

"Je ne qua pas que ce n'est pas du bur"....if ya' knows what I mean (he says in horribly broken and incorrect French) :D
  10. Isn't that Ari's singlecut?
    If it is, I 've put my hands on it: it plays like butter and the sound is huge!:bassist:

11. Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Larry, You are correct!! That was Ari' all MINE;)
  12. I think there's a lucky guy in San Francisco.:D
  13. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    hehe...Ari traded the bass with one of Horace's beauty ;)

Ari may be getting a sixer from me now :D

Peace, JP
  14. Ahhhhhh! Alright!
    I found really "bizarre" from Ari to get rid of this fabulous bass. Now, i understand, he wanna switch to a 6er...
    Another future lucky guy:D

By the way, What was the trade? Horace's beauty is?
  15. Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Larry, Yes I feel very lucky to have the first JP SC5 in the USA. Ari got the first Benavente Vortex 5 in France. Go check it out! Here is a pic of her

16. Hman,
    You even have the first JP SC5 in the whole world!!!

The Benavente is awesome too!!!
  17. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    JP, are you saying you quit the J-neck????:confused:

If so: WHY??
  18. Jazzmanescg

Apr 7, 2003
    hey A new jp basses has arrived in USA.......

glad to see that you appreciate this french singlecut ;p

I hope I will get a different in few monthes... I need to earn more money....

I've already got a JP's, but plume model.....

Welcome in JP's players
  19. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE

I was building this way beacause the constuction was more convenient with the few tools I had (Larry at gallery calls me toolboy ;)) and also because stifness and stability was great.

Now I aslo found that by using the right woods (specie and more importnat quality) a one piece neck was giving execelent and comparable results.
    The J-neck construction also implies an headstock heel which could affraid some potential customers (despite the fact that this is a 15 minutes adaptation story!).

So well, that's a back to basic decision here but with limited neck wood choice, ie wenge or padauk and I'm also trying a hard maple blank on the neck batch to see if it meets my standards.

Peace, JP