Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

JP goes singlecut >>> your opinion please...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JP Basses, Dec 28, 2002.

1. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Hi TBers,

It had to happen :D

This morning, a Parisian music shop (california bass ) asked me to build them a singlecut bass, possibly based on my "Plume" body shape.

Here is the design I came up with today:
    [​IMG]

Just like all my basse, this will be a set neck design. I drawed the shape directly on this crotch maple board. Fingerboard and pickups are photoshop work.

Could you guys tell me what you think about the body shape?

Thanks in advance

Peace, JP

2. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    I love it!!

My address is::D

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    very nice body design. i like it.

4. Looks great! I am sooooo gassin' for a singlecut!!

5. Very nice! Unique body shapes that are aestetically well-balanced and functional require a good artistic and engineering sense. Good work!

Could you explain what you mean by "set neck"? Is that a glued in neck as opposed to a bolt-on or neck-through?

- Dave

6. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Dave-thats what it means, its like a Les Paul or SG. Glued in like you said, rather than bolted on or just a neckthrough board.

Editting to say I've got a set neck bass and I absolutely love it. Its a Buscarino 5 string bass with a flame maple/purpleheart/flame maple neck set into a mahogany body with a flame maple stringer on the back and a quilt maple top. Its absolutely amazing, my only beef with it is the string spacing, but its a killer sounding bass; just too warm..maybe some EMGs will fix that..

Neal

7. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    yep, thanks Neal...That's it!

JP

8. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Nice shape, JP. Congrats !

9. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    To be sincere, I don´t like it at all....... hey don´t blame me, someone have to bring balance to the force!!!
    :D

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Beautiful!

Much nicer than most other single cut bases Ive seen.

Peace
    Nick

11. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    No problem dude, this thread is for positive and negative feedback...

What do you think is wrong with the shape?

JP

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm not a big single-cut fan, but that's gonna be one of the nicest I've seen. I notice some pencil marks on the body that look like what it would be as a double cut. Is that one of your standard shapes modified to fill the upper cut?

13. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I'm not sure if the angle of the photograph is giving a true sense of the actual proportion- is that likely?
    I think it's making the upper 'horn' look smaller than it really is...

So bearing that in mind, and making a mental adjustment for that, I think it's great! Just right.
    I'd like to see a pic where the body is exactly perpendicular to the plane of the photo to be sure, but I feel pretty confident that that's what I'm seeing.

I noticed the same thing in the pics Matt sends me of the bass he's working on. The lower bout vs. upper horn ratio/proportions look different in each picture, so it's hard to get a real idea of the exact shape.

Know whut I meen, Vern?

14. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Yep Munji, this is a modified Plume body shape but the pencil lines you see "inside" the upper horn are the back carving line i'm planning.

JP

15. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Mark, in fact the pic is taken with an angle just for the flash not to "get in" too much.

Apart from this, the angle doesn't make the upper horn much smaller. If I get cool day light tomorrow, I'll take a perpendicular picture without the flash.

JP

16. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    ..gasp...thats the only single cut I've sene taht I like, pretty nifty :D

Looking forward to seeing its finished beauty.

Sorry to be cheeky, but how much do you expect for it?
    ps - were the pickups placed on by PC? ;)

17. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Hey JP,

Looks pretty good. I actually like a top horn that is quite a bit closer to the body, but yours looks fine. Will you be able to play all the notes? I know you just photoshopped the fretboard (nice cocobolo) on there, but it looks like access to the top frets might be a little tough. . .?

18. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I must admit that I'd like the shape more if there were two horns (following the line on the right of the neck). I know tahts not relavent but if you have a series like that, and im ever wealthy enough ill look into em' :p

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I like it, I think it looks great. I agree with LM, it does look like the upper fret access may be a little tight. My Brubaker is the same way. Wouldn't be an issue for me though;)

Need any US customers?

[​IMG]

20. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    Man I just can't get over that bass. It'll be cool to see the finished product.

The bass so nice I had to post twice!!