Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

JP Ken Smith Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by C-5KO, Jun 3, 2005.

1. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
  2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    BEWARE, there was a second auction posted after this guys ended the first time. It is a Fraud, the one from overseas with the sob story of why he has to sell it.

The current one in PA at $7,900. IS the guy that HAS the Bass he bought about 9 years ago when Slog first sold it for John. It is good to see it more within reach. That was serial #195. I have #193, 5-string here in the shop at the moment. The 'Oldies' have matured nicely.. Happy bidding...

3. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I thought $12000 was sort of high... Although, your basses are worth every penny! I only wish I has 790000 pennies.

4. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I remember reading about that bass in Bass Player, almost ten years ago (it was that strings special issue - I have it in the archive right beside me now, believe it nor not) but, alas, I've never tried a Ken Smith bass. It's not something the music stores here in Norway frequently carry. I did hear one at a gospel concert though - lovely sound!

One day when I'm rich and famous, I'll play a Smith 6-string like that one.

5. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    This auction started off at 12000, ended with no bids, the it was 3000 with only approved bidders, dont know what happened to that, now its up to 7900. Listen People, I got an email from the person who is suppose to be the seller of this bass, he says he is now in Slovakia, I ask him why does the ebay listing list him in Canonsburg, Pa...he says that he had to move back to Slovakia because of his wife and some elderly parents. I was asking about the terms of shipping and he wants the buyer to make a deposit for the total amount using money transfer-western union,?????? he also has used two different names in the emails he sent me????? I like the bass, but all of this is not adding up.

6. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    The guy in Slovakia was/is a fraud. I emailed him after he listed the Bass for 3k and he quickly pulled it down. Then I got an email from someone that it was offered to for $2500. I told him that was a 'hijacked' auction and he is a fraud. I alerted ebay.

I have spoken with the guy in Pa. He bought it about 9 years ago from John thru Slog. He IS the Legit Seller. Now he has lowered it to sort of break even on the original sale/purchase.

I get nothing out of this at all. I do this 'Policing' so I don't hear all the cries about bad deals in the used market.

If you have a question, send the buyer a PM and post it and the answer here on TB if it doesnt show up on Ebay in the ad itself. If you are serious about the used Smith Basses on Ebay or thru private sale, you can alwas call or email us for any info in aor records.

NEVER pay Western Union. PayPay is the only safe way I know of on Ebay. Know your seller and ask Questions.

A year ago, I was buying a Bass Bow from Germany. I was out bid. A few days later I recieved an Email with Ebay looking messaging calling it 'second chance offer' from a guy in England telling me he is using his girl friends email cause his is down but I could read the UK address in it. He claimed the buyer that bid 2500 over my 2400 did not pay so I can have it. I said it was at 1200 b4 he entered the game so I should get it for that. He said ok, send me the 1200.

Then I got worried.. It this possible. A fine English bow 100 years old for half price?.. I would re-list it and start a new auction.. I then emailed the other email address and was asked my name.. I told him and he said I was NOT the winner of the auction and I had been out bid. He knew nothing about the Guy in England. If I had sent my money over there, I would have lost it.. Be careful and always use PayPal. I once demanded a guy to take Paypal and I waited two weeks till he was set up b4 paying him...

7. Although I don't doubt what was said regarding the fraud issue, what's with the high feedback? I always use that as a primary gauge when buying from e-Bay. I wouldn't be *too* concerned buying something from a guy with 895 transactions and a 99.8% feedback rating.

8. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    As Ken Smith stated, the guy hyjacked the thread, and I am now convinced of this, the actual ebay listing and the owner is, from what Ken said legit, and since Ken said he spoke to him, I believe him, also I just got this email from the guy in Slovakia when I ask him why is the bass for sale now at 7900 on ebay, I am posting you a copy of his reply to me below......

Hello,
    I think is a mistake.
    The bass is in posesion and like i told you a have the bass from my brother
    who died in a car accident

there is no doubt in my mind that this guy is not on the up and up. :mad: :scowl:

9. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Kudos to Ken. When I was the bass dept. manager in New Orleans before being bought out by GC, I used to have a pretty good stock of Ken Smith Basses. They were all great basses!
    I HATE Ebay. It is so full of frauds, and Ebay could care less about the buyers. For every deal, there is a ripoff. I'd much rather buy and sell through the TalkBass Classifieds.

10. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA

AMEN TO THAT :cool:

11. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Ken, you have went "imo" way above your responsibiltiy in following up on stuff like this! the reality of it is that you really did not have to add your input what-so-ever and just let the chips fall where they may. I think I can say with confidence the all of the people here at TB, weather they own a Smith bass or not, are much better off knowing you do what you do as a vender/builder of basses in situations like this. :cool:

Thanks

12. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Ken, good deed done. Thanks for your vigilence.

13. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    What would happen if somebody opted to BuyItNow, and not pay? Wouldn't the lister still have to pay for the ad?

Hmm... Ebay Vigilante to the rescue?

14. mrphattay

mrphattay Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2005
    my 2cents:
    The KS Co. is all that and more.
    In ' 99 I bought an ' 83 4string Smith. Before purchase, I reached out to the Co.for answers to some very specific Q's that I had regarding this Bass. Bottom line is, they couldn't have been more accomodating. This back & forth occurred over the span of a week, with multiple emails & follow-ups. Their courtesy toward me, and their genuine interest in their product, was incredible. -Understand that this was an aftermarket sale and that they had no affiliation with, and would not financially profit from it's sale. So when Mr. Smith extends such an offer, trust that it's more than rhetoric. The Man stands behind his Basses and is willing to do what he can to ensure that each KS bass experience is a good one.