Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Wademeister63, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I've noticed a few times now that some of you guys can snag a pic from the forums, modify it, and post it back in no time. The best I've been able to do so far is painfully slow and inaccurate by using WinTopo Freeware to produce the vector image which is NEVER really very good, then tracing around and between a sea of tiny scratchy lines. Takes me at least 30 minutes to have a clean drawing. I also have used MasterCAMs Raster to Vector converter, but it was no better than the freeware.

And how are you converting back from CAD to JPG? I'm having to save as a DXF, open in Autocad, copy and paste as a WMF, then open with a paint and save as a JPG. DAMN!! Either that or print from the CAD file then scan the hardcopy to get a JPG.

I KNOW this ain't the way to fly, but what can I get to improve things without spending a bunch of money?

2. Get a graphics suite that has the ability to manipulate vector AND bitmap images. CorelDraw for me is it. Seamless multi-tasking between each format and CAD level precision for vector drawing are all that I need. Plus, I run my 24" plotter with it.:D
  3. Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Thanks Hambone, I might have to check that one out. I haven't tried CorelDraw since version 4 came out. Damn thing bogged my poor 386 computer down so bad, man that program was a hog! haha. But I LOVED version 3.

Also got a PM tip to try DeltaCad and it seems very good. Works with JPG and DXF, very easy to use and at first glance seems pretty capable. Took me about 10 minutes from download of the demo to this:

4. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    My vote is also corel draw
    I just bought 12 and it was only like $60 on ebay.
    legit too , but with no box.

You can export as both kinds of autocad files dxf and the other I cant recall off hand.
    works like a charm.
    Thats how the divinity oracle was made!