JPJ’s tone in D’Yer Mak’er

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by zelig.audio, Jan 31, 2020.

1. zelig.audio

zelig.audio

Apr 12, 2013
    Not sure if this is the right forum, but here it goes. Maybe I’m just uninformed, but one thing that intrigued me for years is how to get the kind of bass tone one is to find in D’Yer Mak’er by Led Zeppelin. It has that subtle bite in the beginning of the notes, but the fundamental tone is actually weak, not very present.

Any ideas?

2. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I just listened, and I believe he's using a pick and heavily muting the strings with his picking hand (lying a part of it on the strings enough to muffle the sound, but not completely deaden it).
    My guess is that he was still using a Fender Jazz Bass at this point. It sure sounds like flatwound strings to me, although he always (as far as I know) insisted that he used roundwounds. If you're trying to get this sound, I'd recommend flatwounds, for the percussive "click."

FRoss6788 and rickwebb like this.
  3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    He did NOT always insist that he used rounds. There are rather recent interviews where he asserts that, but around '76 (Guitar Player Magazine interview) he said he used flats until he got his first Alembic.

4. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    I'm guessing his usual '63 Jazz with old Roto 77 Jazz Flats, pick, palm muted.

5. zelig.audio

zelig.audio

Apr 12, 2013
    Thanks for all the replies. Yes, agreed on the pick + flats + palm muting, but EQ-wise, how do you get that low end that is not that present, but still felt. I don’t now how to describe it. There are lows, but it’s as if they didn’t have a body.
    The bass tone in Hendrix’s Wait Until Tomorrow seems to be in the same ballpark, but there there’s actual low end, as if the full spectrum was there. It’s just that it has that initial bite. Actually this would be a great tone to mimic as well in the situation I’m working on, but the JPJ one is harder for me to find out how to reproduce.

6. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Zeppelin rules.

LBS-bass likes this.
  7. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Well a Jazz, with both pickups full out, will by nature scoop a bit of mids out. That's a big part of it I would think. You can always dial out a small bit of mid bass between 125-500.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2022