Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

JPJ bass question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by walkinglines30, Jan 16, 2004.

1. walkinglines30

walkinglines30

Oct 30, 2003
    I was listening to the studio versions of Black Dog,Heartbreaker and Immigrants song and I know there both used with picks. However, does he use a precision in those songs? Or does he get that punchy effect by using the pick on on jazz?

2. I haven't seen him playing a P, but you never know. He might have used one on the studio versions.

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Yea, I don't really know what he used in the studio, but on stage he played a jazz.

4. walkinglines30

walkinglines30

Oct 30, 2003
    Im just interested with those songs be cause i love the tone. He' uses a pick in those 3 songs so that coulda made his jazz more punchier.

5. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    The only time i've seen JPJ play a P-bass is in the Led Zep DVD on the song "In My Time of Dieing". BTW: What are his volume/Volume/Tone controls set to?

6. walkinglines30

walkinglines30

Oct 30, 2003
    Im not sure, but I think he has THE BEST jazz tone out there (im my opinion and ears)

7. It could have been very well feasible that JPJ used a P bass on records, especially Immigrant Song, as he used a 50's P (or Tele Bass for that Matter).

As for his tone, I'd say he had his pickups up full blast with his tone knob down; his neck pickup up full, bridge pickup down a little, tone knob halfway; or a combination of the two...Also, remember that he played right at the base of the neck, not over any pickups, and he used to play through 60's amps, which equate out to probably a 2x15 without a tweeter. So if you are trying to replicate his tone, turn the bass knob up, mids at about half, and treble at 1/4.

8. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Thanks man. Sounds pretty good. :)

9. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I would be pretty cofident that Jonsey used the Jazz on those studio recordings. Outside of his Fender Bass VI, the upright, and his Alembics, the other basses were pretty much just used on stage. Also, his Cerwyn Vega 2X15 cabs played a VITAL role in the thick punchiness of his tone. Listen to TSRTS soundtrack and you'd never guess he was playing and early '60s Jazz if you didn't know it! :D