Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

JPJ or am I crazy for thinking this

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by harley_ou812, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Ok I have a 5 string fender Jazz. I love the sound of a P. but they dont make a 5 string passive P. So i was thinking about routing out for a 5 string P pickup in the P pickup location. then looking to get a 3 volume/tone pots so all 3 pickups would have a volume and a tone. so i could get a Jazz sound A P sound or combination of both. would this work or am i crazy?

2. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
  3. yeah something like that... but the Jazz pickups looker closer to the bridge/neck (respectivley) then on my fender Jazz... Could that be a short scale bass? or have a smaller body then my jazz? I dont know... it looks like I would need to either get a special pikgaurd made on mine or something. In theory this just seems to be a great Idea I am just worried about how that theory will relate to reality

4. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    ya stu also had a kubicki, with 2 humbuckers and a p in between them. probably did it him self. you could do it.

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Did someone call?
    :smug:

Just joking. Seriously, though...just keep in mind that once you mod, you can't go back. However, the good thing is that if something goes wrong (if you try to do the mod yourself) or if you don't like the results, you can always cover that huge, honkin' P pickup hole with a new pickguard. ;)

6. Well to cover it with a new pickgaurd would still require a ncustom pickgard I believe since the jazz pickup is pretty close to the back of the pickgaurd. I am not concerned about resale value because I dont want to sell it but I know what you mean about not being able to go back

7. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I know this was just posted, but I like these colors a lot better.

[​IMG]

8. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    wouldn't it be easier to do a PJ and find a 5 string Pbass pickup? I know that there are good, passive models out there. I think there is too much overlap in the P location and the J neck pickup.

9. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

Not sure, but that is a 24 fret neck, so that might throw some visual spacing off.

10. yeah a PJ would be alot easier to do. But I would love to be able to dial up a Jazz bass tone or a P bass tone that is where this Idea originated. I dont know if the pickup locations overlap that was part of the reason I was asking about it. I have tossed around the Idea of just building a warmouth 5 string P but money is an issue there and I like this Idea better because I could go from a P sound to a jazz sound by turning knobs on the bass.

11. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    How about doing a series/parallel mod on the jazz?

12. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    You are correct in your guess that if you put a P between the Js, it will not be in standard P position - and that this will change the tone.

In standard positions, the P E- and A- string coil is nearly the same place as the J neck pup.

This may help. The centerlines of the coils are shown. (data courtesy of bgavin's Musician's Reference) (sorry about the image quality, darn 600x600 restriction!)

13. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Re-adding missing graphic.

Attached Files: