JPJ or The Ox

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by D.J, May 31, 2001.

1. D.J

Jan 31, 2000
    All of us know these are two of the best bass players ever, but who do you prefer and why?
  2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Those are two of my favorites, but I prefer JPJ, because I like Zeps music better.
  3. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i would say entwhistle mainly because i despise zeppelin.

i think neither is the "best".
  4. Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    I think the ox is a flashier player and is really fun to watch, but I like the music JPJ jones made!
  5. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Ooh, we've got a right ding-dong-do here, fans!

Anyone unfortunate to be subjected to my rantings for any length of time will no doubt have noticed my rather unhealthy Entwistle obsession, but this is definitely a hard one to call - try listening to The Real Me and The Lemon Song back to back, as I've just done. In fact, I'm convinced that both JPJ and The Ox were just miming, and their lines were performed by a top secret Soviet uberbassist, sending out fiendish anti-capitalism messages subliminally encoded into the low bass frequencies.

Maybe that explaines the popularity of Rage Against the Machine. Or maybe I'm just a complete fruitcake. :eek::D
  6. I love 'em both.

I'd have to say I like JPJ more.. but both were big influences on me early on. I remember putting a lot of struggle into trying to learn Entwistle and Jones lines.. don't think I ever did figure too many of them out. ;)
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Ooh, this is a toughie.

I'd have to go with JPJ because he did so much more for Zeppelin besides bass, like keyboards and string arrangments.

In terms of tone, I'd have to go with Entwistle. That man has THE sound.
  8. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Yes, but Entwistle played trumpet for the Who, sang, and wrote songs.

Aarghh! There's no separating them!! :eek:
  9. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000

You're a complete fruitcake.

By the way:
  10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
  11. polo3378

Nov 21, 2000
    For me it is Entwistle since he goes off during a live performance, which keeps things interesting. And his bass sounds like a supercharged 426 Hemi.
  12. Ah, it's all making sense now. It links up perfectly with that Bob Dole/pen crotch thing in the Britney Spears ad. It's a Brave New World my friends. They've already got to us!
  13. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    I suspected as much. ;)
  14. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I prefer JPJ. I was sitting at the drive-thru at Arby's today (God help me....) and "Ramble On" came on. I love his lines and his tone. I admire the Ox, because of his unique tone and style, but musically I think JPJ is more versatile and he speaks to me more.
  15. OX!

for innovation in bass sounds, and dare I say that JPJ overused the root-fifth-octave phrase?

*flame-proof suit on*
  16. G

Apr 12, 2000
    Two of my favorites. Both should be respected for their innovations. You should check out the solo material of both for a true comparison, however...