JPJ sound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by cecile, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Would yous guy mind recommending some strings that will give more of a John Paul Jones tone to my 76' jazz
  2. I think flats do a good job of approximating the JPJ jazz bass tone, although I've heard conflicting reports on whether he actually used flats or not.
  3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I know that I read it somewhere, JPJ said he switched to roundwounds during his session days, because he felt the flats weren't punchy enough for him.

I must say though, the first 2 zeppelin albums, they do sound like flats. I have an easier time getting that tone with flats.

Anyone else know something about this?
  4. I'm not to familiar with flats, any certain kind I should look for
  5. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I think I'd go with Nickel Round Wounds. He has endorsed Rotosound for a bit now. I'd also learn mandolin, keyboards, and arranging.
  6. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    JPJ used roto flats on his jazz. He used rounds on the Alembic. At various times he also played a single coil P, and a Fretless P. He may have used a few others.

I get a very good tone using Fender ML9050's on a standard jazz. One of the keys to his tone is in the way he plucked the strings. He has said that he has a very hard attack to the strings. Watch some video's of him playing and you will notice how he plucks the strings, It is a sharp fast attack. He also is all over the place as far as where he plucks. Sometimes it is between the pups and then he will be just over the neck.

One of my favorites of him playing from there DVD is of him playing a fretless Precision. He just smokes!

Another way to copy him would to become a theory geek, learn, learn , learn, and take up keys and mandolin.
  7. Kazuki

Aug 14, 2004
    Yup, one awesome thing about JPJ is the diversity he displayed. changing his picking hand position to get a different tone, using a pick when required... It does wonder to shape different tones and sounds.

As for the question, I have read somewhere too that he did used flats on his jazz in the earlier days. He apparently switched to rounds during the session days to better accomodates what was asked of him, as I think I recall him saying that he was often asked to get more "click" and punch to the sound.

But if you are looking for that old Zeppelin tone (like on "Dazed and Confused", for example) then I think rounds would be the way to go.
  8. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002