Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

JPJ - Standing in the Shadows of Micky Most

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Rob W, Jun 10, 2003.

1. I just picked the new Zeppelin DVD and, man, if John Paul Jones isn't completely outstanding on everything!

I haven't been listening to much Zep lately, and the studio albums are a slightly different animal anyway, but these new live releases really showcase some of the finest electric bass playing I've ever heard. I was completely knocked out by his playing on tracks like "In My Time of Dying". His fretless work is really great - I hadn't noticed that before.

Why are we not worshiping this man like he deserves? Everybody raves about James Jamerson (who was indeed great as well) but JPJ did exactly the same sort of thing in England throughout the '60's playing on probably half of the top 40 singles of his day with a huge range of artists. Somebody should be writing books about him and transcribing his great lines.

Anyway, I was completely knocked out by his playing on the new DVD and must admit I'd forgotten just how fantastic a player he is. I think he deserves a lot more recognition than we all have been giving the guy.

IMO he truly deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Jaco and Jamerson (and Osborn, although many of you might not put Joe up there too).

2. I think you'll find JPJ is highly revered (sp?) among the bass playing community, because, well, he should be, he's an amazing and very creative bassist.

Among non bass players however, he seems to be overshadowed by the other members of Led Zep. He always used to say how he could walk through the audience of a gig and not be noticed, by the people who came to see him and his band. It probably comes from being in such a huge band as Led Zep, small fish in an gigantic pond.

IMO he is one of the bass greats, and I put him up there along with Jaco and Jamerson as some of the best bass players ever, and definitely one of my favourites ;)

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    They have...haven't they?
    There a BASS book for every Led Zep album up to Physical Graffiti.
    I know 'cause someone gave me the score to "The Wanton Song" & man, was that a workout at tempo!
    "Kashmir", too is weird when read vs. just playing it(it was charted out in 4/4).

As I have mentioned before, Led Zeppelin Complete was THE songbook that 'taught' me bass. I think Bruce sez the same thing.
    JPJ is very R&B & he made it work in a band like Zeppelin. Very cool.

JPJ is killin' on those DVDs; Bonham really blew me away on this discs.
    Fact is, I think looking at this band now...Page is probably the weakest player(not counting Plant's harmonica 'playing'). ;)

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Oh, yeah...just rememberd-
    When I did read Circus mag, Page did say "John Paul Jones is the real musical genius of Led Zeppelin".

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I've mentioned it before that I thought JPJ was like the Jamerson of rock.....the way he walked around the chord changes was very much like Jamerson! I'm sure like a lot of English cats, he listened to Jamerson too. I've been playing since '71 and you couldn't be a bassist in a rock band without JPJ being a major influence.....back in the stone age when I started;)

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Zooma is in permanent rotation in my car's CD player!

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Rob W.....I forgot to put in my post, did you know Micky Most died a few weeks back? I had to break out my old Jeff Beck & Terry Reid albums:(

8. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    as a youn man of 9 years old my dad sent for drum lessons(my first real love),after about a year i was told that he could'nt afford to send me for "a while" so i had to take a sabbatical from the lesson for sometime(it turned out to be forever:bawl: ).before i finished my last lesson my drum teacher after being told the news,he went into his car and came back with a tape called "PHYSICAL GRAFFITI",he went ahead and told me to "study this drummer and you will be able to play anything that comes along".well i took that tape and listened to what i percieved as the most complicated music i had ever heard,i was about 11 years old and was used to MOTLEY CRUE and all those bands of that time(no dis-respect to them for they had their place in my life musically).my point being that what i learned from listening to that band had shaped my music playing from them untill now.25 years later i am still referring to them for guidence and idea's.and even though i was mainly listening for the drums i still knew that J.P.JONES was a very talented man,all of my drumming was influenced by BONZO but JONSEY was blowing my mind even before i knew what a bass did.he is the most underrated player in ZEP but then again most bassists would be over-shadowed by the mesmerizing guitar of Page,the massive range of vocals by Plant,and the thunderous drumming of the "Beast" called Bonzo:cool: .it would hard to be noticed over a trio of that magnitude,but Jonsey prefered the background over the limelight,he was quoted in a bass mag as saying"i love the fact i am the bassist for the most powerful band in the world, making as much money as the other members who cant go anywhere without being mobbed by fans". so that tells me he's happy with his position in Zeppelin. and back before Zep he was one of the most called upon session players in London at the time doing over 40 sessions a month(which is pretty close to,or more than what Jammerson was doing at the time,BTW i love Jammersons stuff). so he was no run of the mill player,he was always noticed for his bass playing but when he joined Zep he was able to blend in without being noticed.i cant wait to hear the new c.d,its been along time since the boy's rock&rolled,so all you teenie boppers get ready to take notes and look,cause these boys done written the book. ZEPPELIN RULES !

9. low.ender

low.ender

Oct 1, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I recently picked up the DVD, and me and my whole band were just blown away (We all went and got a copy the day it came out!). All of Zep were brilliant, but JPJ is held in higher esteem than ever before after seeing it. We already cover a bunch of Zep tunes but now I will really appreciate his playing even more. I always liked JPJ and knew he was gifted. While Page was wacking out on smack, which was often, JPJ often took the song writing reigns over and is only recently getting credit for anything. Its a shame that this kind of overlooking of genius in bassists is fairly common compared to other musicians. Maybe JPJ will get his due before its too late- (Jamerson, Jaco, etc.)

10. John Paul Jones is the epitome of what being a bass player is all about IMO. Take up a position at the rear, close to the drummer, keep it all tight & together, and let the rest of them flail & wail while you steer the band along. Get the job done with no fuss.
    We don't want to be superstars do we? If we did we wouldn't be bass players!
    JPJ is a legend and he has influenced many of us who try to follow in his footsteps. He IS worthy!!

11. low.ender

low.ender

Oct 1, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Its not really about being a superstar, its about not having your contributions overlooked by the general music listening audience, which for some reason happens more often that not w/ bassists as opposed to other musicians. I think that history has shown this to be correct. By the way, Im not referring to other musicians, but the general audience.

12. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    If you want to know more about the British session scene of the '60s and early '70s, get hold of a fascinating book called 'Seventeen Watts?' by Mo Foster, who was one of the top Brit session bassists of the day, alongside John Paul Jones and Herbie Flowers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I think Jamerson, Jaco, etc get more "kudos" than JPJ partly because JPJ is still alive...

A recent example would be John Entwistle - before his sad passing last summer, hardly anybody who wasn't a bassist knew who he was, now everyone knows his name, and, sad that it is, his death brought attention to his bass playing and contribution to The Who and to music in general. (I've met plenty of people who thought the little bass solo breaks on My Generation were Townsend).

I hope JPJ has many more years of great music in him. I stood about 10 feet away from him last week, he was presenting an award at the Metal Hammer Awards in London...

Russ :bassist:

14. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    much to my dis-may Jamerson did'nt get the recognition or the money that J.P.J. got.after a few years people starting to realize how great Jamerson was and started giving him the money he deserved,but J.P.J always had his hand in the till fron square one,he never took a back seat to anyone in the band financialy or musically.he chose to be the "silent majority",that was HIS choice,un-like Jmerson who just did'nt get it because for what ever reasons the powers that controlled the music industry at that time felt how it should be,but its neither here no there now.its nice to see how that movie (standing in the shadows of m-town)finally giving all those people what they deserved,though it came a lttle late for Jamerson and a few other who passed on before they could see the their work finally recognized :bassist: . i am greatful to have my inspirational bassist still alive in hopes of one day seeing him and the "boy's" GIVE A FEW LESSONS ON HOW IT SHOULD BE DONE. :D

15. s0ckeyeus

s0ckeyeus

Jun 2, 2003
    The DVD is absolutely incredible. JPJ has always been a favorite of mine, but now I think he might just top the list. I've only watched just over 2 hours of the DVD, but I can't wait to watch the rest.

16. Mmm, heard a lot about that DVD. Unfortunately, no DVD player. :meh:

I don't know about this no kudos thing - I put JPJ right at the top of my favourite bass players list, and have for ages.

AS for his lines and some words from the man himself, check out this. Use the "lessons" link - it's right down the bottom.

17. s0ckeyeus

s0ckeyeus

Jun 2, 2003
    :bawl: You're missing out. You should run out to get one, and the DVD of course. :D

18. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

19. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Speaking of people not noticing him...... On the DVD (Second DVD to be exact) the interview with Led Zep (they're at a party type thing after they finish playing Rock n' Roll) You see video footage of after them getting into a car. Page, plant, and Bonham get into a car and You see JPJ walking outside of the car and no one seems to notice. Everyone is still screaming at page/plant in the car and he casually walks by. I thought that was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. This kind of reminded me of a gig our band played and this happened exactly (except for playing infront of more than 300 people and the getting into the car part and the whole "being in Led Zep thing" :D ). The guitarist, who is a wanker, had girls falling on him but I walked throught the crowd grabbed a water bottle (i wasn't old enough to drink) and sat down. Two people came up to me and said "Good job". One was a Guitarist and the other was his girlfriend. anywho...... JPJ rules!