Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

JPJ's bass mandolin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xush, Jun 22, 2002.

1. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    seen this?
    Pretty cool.
    [​IMG]

2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    WAY TO BIG!!

LOL

STEVE

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Funny...that doesn't look like me! :D

You can have all of your multi-laminate, extended-range, exotic hardwood basses and your players who slap, pop, and weedle their way into oblivion...this is the face of genius, talent, and musicianship.

Long live Jonsey!!!

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

This bass is gross. F5 bass. Damnit.
    This kind of pic should be reported to a moderator.
    :p

5. :rolleyes:

Funny you say that, because JPJ uses exotic-wood multi-laminate extended-range basses pretty extensively, and was using absolutely ridiculous Alembics back in the day.

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    By the looks of that face, he certainly shall.
    Is this guy aging well or what?!

7. Hey, somebody's gotta collect the royalties after Page and Plant drop, although Plant's been healthier ever since he became a born-again ( :confused: ).

8. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Absolutely (tongue in cheek), and he has done some amazing work with the mandolin, bass lap steel, 8, 10, and 12 string Manson basses lately...not to mention what he can do with an Apple lap top on stage!!! That said, Jonesy could still out-groove anyone alive with nothing more than two fingers and skinny stick of maple tacked onto a block of alder. ;)

9. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Thats exatly what I was thinking.

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    The following is a private chain jerk at a fellow Chicago-area TB'er:

And I got to see him, and you didn't...nah nah nah!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

11. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Way to rub it in HD! :mad:

Keep in mind that I DID get to meet my idol and source of life-long inspiration on the Zooma tour, and am STILL waiting for Jonesy to come back to the U.S. for a headline tour for Thunderthief...will it EVER happen? :confused:

You can bet that I'll be there for THAT one!!!

12. I saw him on the Zooma tour AND got his autograph!!! :p

13. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    how are his live shows?

14. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    To Aluminumcatish-When I saw Jonsey on the Zooma tour, I was fortunate enough to get no fewer than SEVEN items signed....trump THAT one!

:D :D :D ;)

Xush-If you're a bass player, it is a MUST SEE show. If you are a musician, it is a MUST SEE show. If you're a music fan, it is a MUST SEE show. After 35 years, he is currently playing as well as he ever has and, as usual, is pushing the boundaries of musicianship to the max...from playing the vocal parts to Black Dog on bass lap steel to looping 4 parts on stage individually to build a hugely complex and layered piece of music.

15. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Word. I spent most of the show with my jaw in my lap.