JP's first Plume Singlecut progress

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JP Basses, Apr 21, 2003.

1. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    I first posted the pics on Peter's thread but I fell I'd better start a new one just not to hijack his...

Here are some fresh pics cause now the overall shape is really showing...

Thick alder hollowbody with Padauk top and back
    Flammed maple and wenge J-Neck
    Macassar ebony board.

The neck joint and the whole bass still needs a lot of work but you got the idea. I'm pretty excited about this one :D

Peace, JP
  2. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA

looks like you're on a roll with the new basses.

i love em!!!!

unique design, well balanced, pleasing wood combos.

checks wallet....DANG!!!!!!!

3. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    checks wallet....hmmmmmmmmmm

I'd hate for my fretless Plume to have to reside over here all by its lonesome...

Looking good! Where have I seen that neck before?
  4. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    WOW. Thats really nice. That's one of my favorite basses I've seen from you JP. Keep up the good work.
  5. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Thanks buddies...

I really appreciate your kind comments !

Peace, JP
  6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    That looks really nice. The singlecut upper horn works nicely with the remainder of the "plume" body shape.

BTW since the body core is just alder, what is that dark color showing through the pickup routs?
  7. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    The bass was planned to be loaded with piezo bridge only. I had not planned putting pickups in it. so it's quite completly hollow.

I finally changed my mind. The pickup routs are showing the wenge accent laminate. I'll glue some wooden posts in the body to support the pickups screw inserts.

Peace, JP
  8. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    thats lookin sweet dude.

I love how natural the single cutaway looks on that, like it was meant to be all along.
  9. G

Apr 12, 2000
    Simply amazing JP. I can't wait to hear it. That may be the single most amazing piece I have ever seen, and it isn't even complete!
  10. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I don't usually go for singlecuts, but I'd actually buy this one. Very nice.
  11. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Hey JP-
    I'm sure a lot of people realize how much I like singlecut's and I *dig* that one. That is a very very classy design IMO, I'm very impressed. Way to go man. :)
  12. I really like the fretboard, 'tis purty :)

Overall it loks awesome, Id take a 4, tho. :)
  13. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    that bass is just freaking hot
  14. Damn!!!! That's the best looking singlecut I ever saw! I really need to get a job now...
  15. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE

I'm pretty impressed by the feedback on this bass ! :D

That's cool to know you Tbers like it so much.
    I was not convinced I should build singlecut basses as I didn't like them much but in fact, the shape I came with had grown on me and I can't wait to finish the bass :bassist:

Xush just reminded me that it's been more than a year since I first registered on TB and this has really been a great year experience. I love to be there and I've tried my best to contribute to thii forum...I'll try to keep it going like this and I want to thanks everybody for being so supportive!

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  17. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Thanks Brad!

18. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Hey JP,

Nice job indeed! I like the little tail curl at the bottom end of the bass. It looks very balanced to me. Paduak top? I think semi-hollow is definitely the way to go, and I like your "Linc Luthier" neck laminates as well. Probably adds a lot of strength. . .?

What kind of Piezos are you going to use? I just finished a 5 fretless with Graphtech's "Ghost" piezos and preamp, and they sound really good.
  19. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Hi Laurence,

It's nice to hear from you again.

Yep, this is Padauk top and back.

The neck laminates aren't done in the same way as link luthier. Ever read his patent? It's very interesting but our goal and techniques differ.

I won't use piezos finally. Only two JP magnetic pickups. I had planned RMC piezos but thos will be for another bass sometime :D

Peace, JP
  20. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    :eek: Wow, thats sweet! I love it!

Plus, it doesn't look anything like a Fodera! :D