1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

JSP cutom 5er for D. Abell...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JSPguitars, Jun 20, 2007.

1. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Finally putting the final touches on my third build, a custom 5 for my first real customer (thanks for your patience Dustin :smug: )
    34" scale
    maple/purleheart neck
    spalt maple/ash/spalt maple body with amber finish
    Bart pickups and preamp

Dbass1.gif
    Dbass9.gif
    Dbass5.gif
    Spalt.gif
    Neck_joint_contour.gif

2. now THAT is a hot bass! congratulations!

3. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Nice!!

4. silen7ce

silen7ce

Dec 11, 2006
    thats beautiful

5. Dustin's a lucky guy that is sweet! Nice job man, love the shape and sculpting. It took me a second to figure out what those 2 extra odd holes were for, interesting to have both the B and E sort of through like that.
    Dirk

6. DigthemLows

DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    incredible........that is a beautiful, unique, work of art! Great job!

7. Wow and crazy.

lowsound

8. DEbassist

DEbassist

Jul 7, 2006
    St. Louis
    !!!!!! Just got an email from Jeff with these pics. I CANNOT WAIT TO GET THIS BASS!!!!!

Jeff is awesome.

Man, this thing turned out even better than I hoped.

Check out the headstock guys. On the truss rod cover, its got my Gradfather's signature laser engraved into it. He was the guy that gave me my first guitar.

This bass has extra speial meaning to me and I think it is just amazing that Jeff took the time to make sure that this was done right.

Kudos to Jeff, an incredible luthier.

9. DEbassist

DEbassist

Jul 7, 2006
    St. Louis
    headstock

10. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Beauty bass.

11. DEbassist

DEbassist

Jul 7, 2006
    St. Louis
    I'll get some sound clips up next week after it arrives.

12. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Inactive

Jun 10, 2001
    Very nice!

13. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Absolutely beautiful. There was a user a while back that did a similar kinda of 'cut-out' like you did on the arm rest. I love it.

14. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    that looks amazing!!! great job Jeff and congrats on getting a new bass DE!!

15. Yellow

Yellow

Apr 20, 2006
    Sooke, BC, Canada
    Oh dude, gorgeous.

I have a question for you, I am planning to use some spalted maple on my first, did you have to harden/stabilize yours or was it hard enough for normal work and finish? Mine has some soft spots in it.

And lastly, I want to try that skinny pup that you have in the bridge, how do you like it, is is similar to J style or not.

16. DEbassist

DEbassist

Jul 7, 2006
    St. Louis
    Yellow,
    The long skinny pickup by the bridge is actually a bartolini XJ5. Its a stacked humbucker. I had two in my Warrior and I really liked the tone. Very thick.

17. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    Wow, that is sweet. I really like the back, also the unique armrest/cutout on the top.

What was the design process that brought you to having the B and E strings through the end like that?

18. fantastic detailing!

19. Thonk

Thonk

Sep 14, 2003
    UK
    Great work I love the SM top

I have one very much like this hanging around & i was gonna sell it on but now i think im gonna keep it hehe

20. That looks incredible. Excellent work!

Taking orders? ;)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021