Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

JT, how does one tune an F#?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Brendan, Nov 4, 2000.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I have, after a lot of hard thinking, I am DEFINIATLY (crap, knwo I didn't spell that right. Oh well) going to go with a Conklin GT7. Either one seven or two sixes. Conklin won.

So, most tuners go to Low B, and High C. Do you just need to buy and intrument tuner, as opposed to a g*****/bass tuner, to tune F#? Or what?

And a question of cases, do regular ones fit GT7s? Or would I have to buy one at a Guitar Center, or some other store? I only ask becuase I am thinking about ordering through MF, and they don't offer a case with it. I'll most likely end up getting it at GC, but, MF has them for $999, and I'm a cheap skate:D

2. about the prices, just show GC the ad for MF. GC says they'll match any price. and sides, MF and GC are own'd by the same person or people. It wouldnt be logical for one to charge more hten another.

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    you tune the low F# just like you tune the other strings, with those little gold thingies on the headstock! LOL

Sorry, John, beat you to it

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...really, that F# is so LOW, who's gonna know when/if it is out of tune?

(Just kidding; my final answer is....your ears?):D

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    dammit, that's MY joke!!! :D

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, i tune it with the harmonic on the 5th fret, and then i make sure that my intonation is good too.

my tuner, korg dtr1, can handle the low F# open pretty decently , but i like to use the harmonic or the 12 fret note since i can make them out a bit better when nobody else is playing.

oh, and the low F# is very noticeable when it is out with the ensemble, sounds BAAAAD! ;)