1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

JTM-45 and cab question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by m1k337, Sep 30, 2008.

1. m1k337

m1k337

Feb 25, 2008
    hi i originally bought this amp to play through with my les paul though recently i have decided to play bass in a band and dont have an amp or bass yet. my question is since this amp is bassed on a bass amp im guessing there should be no problem, though my cabinet is a guitar cab. im playing it through a vintage (70s) marshall 2x12 with either 25 or 30w celestions. Will this be any problem running bass frequencies especially at high volumes (i usually play at around 8). If so any good suggestions on a cab i should look at with this amp.

Thanks.

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Most important - do not play your bass through that cab at volume. If you do, your speakers will not survive.

That amp was based on a close approximation of Fender amp that most Bass Players despise as a bass amp. As a bass amp it isn't even mediocre... As an amp to practice bass at low volume, preferrable through a cabinet designed for bass guitar - fine. You'll hear it's limits soon enough. By the time you're gig or jam ready, maybe you'll have had time to acquire a real bass amp.

Having said that - in my project room there is GK 1001 RB II, A Traynor YBA-200 (soon there will be an iAmp 300 - like in a couple of hours - come on Brown truck...) Dedicated bass amps all. There is also a Princeton Reverb and a couple of other small tube guitar amps. The Princeton Reverb sounds amazing as a bass amp at low volume, even through the open back 10 - sounds better driving a ported 15 but I rarely bother to hook it up ... Nobody in their right mind would try it on 8, but 3 sounds ridiculously good ... sounds so much like Carol Kaye I think about a sex-change! I get a lot of headphone time in as well. DI ==> recorder ==>monitors or phones.... You don't need to go all crazy to get a bass rig to learn on, just don't ask your guitar amp to do what it wasn't meant to do.

3. m1k337

m1k337

Feb 25, 2008
    only reason im wondering is because i always remember seeing old Who pictures and the whole band was playing jtm45s. Also i had read that john had one of the first marshall 4x12's. Would using a proper bass cab and playing the marshall at around 3 as you suggest give me enough volume to keep up with drums and guitar in an unmic'd situation. Could you suggest a good cab to go along with the jtm, nothing too expensive as i said i am picking it up for the first time and don't need anything over the top.