1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

JTM For Bass Amp??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NathanThomas, Sep 17, 2008.

1. NathanThomas

NathanThomas

Sep 17, 2008
    I've been looking up some bass amps recently. But found a few guys that use guitar amps instead.

Most frequently used one was the "JTM 45 Marhshall".

What i was wondering is if anyone has ever tried a bass through it? and what kind of sound is achieved.

Also if anyone knows of someone selling a "JTM 45 head"... please post details.

Cheers

2. Pretty sure the JTM45 was the original Marshall head. Clone of a tweed Fender Bassman.

Totally possible they have put that same name on several different amps since then.

3. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    you are correct. Jim Marshall was a drum teacher (had a lesson studio) He had a friend, who was a radio repair man, copy at Bassman as close as he could.

4. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I got pretty good tonal results using my old Marshall JMP-50 (50 watt) with bass cabs in low to medium volume level situations. I'd say either your band would have to be playing at fairly reasonable volume levels or you should be expecting a full on fuzzbass tone even when using a big efficient 810/2x15 cab.

5. NathanThomas

NathanThomas

Sep 17, 2008
    Was just, that i heard Andy Fraser from "FREE". Used to play his bass through a JTM 45 superbass head and cab.

Although i am not 100%.

If anyone knows for sure what it was he used. Send me a reply. Just love the sound he gets from his bass.

cheers for the posts!!

6. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I was in a trio with 2 basses and a drummer where the other bassist played through a cranked 50 watt JCM-800 through 2 4x12s. It sounded good, but was full-on distorted all the time and pretty much all mid-range- I provided all the lows with my rig (he was essentially just playing the part of a guitarist- but way cooler of course!). I don't think it would sound good in a supportive role at all...

Karl

7. I used a JTM45 back in the late Sixties. It worked fine but I ended up using a Leak 50W HiFi power amp and selling the Marshall.

Paul

8. Loudthud

Loudthud

Dec 25, 2007
    Dallas Texas
    The Bassman/JTM45 circuit has been used in slightly modified form in many Bass amps. Most increased the power to at least 100W and/or tweeked on the tone stack to make the amp more bass friendly. Better suited for old school rock and moderate to extreme distortion. No so good for modern clean sounding slap and pop styles that favor the SVT or kilowatt solid state power amps. Overall IMHO the Bassman/JTM45 is not as versatile as the SVT but can create unique tones that some players (me included) favor over the SVT.

etherealme likes this.