1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

jt's random factoid o'the day #1

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by john turner, Sep 14, 2008.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i thought i'd start something like this, although i make no promises that it will continue every day.

anyway, here it is :

in certain pine trees, like the monterey pine, the pine cones are closed up by an pitch-like substance (they are called serotinous cones). they only pop open when a forest fire occurs, which incidentally will kill the parent tree. in other words, the only way these trees reproduce is if a fire kills the parent tree.
    these are called "fire climax trees".

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Ive read about these trees. I was on the verge of beginning a thread of this sort, but I guess JT's a well deserving OP. :D

3. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    A rat can last longer without water than a camel can.

random factoid of no real use.

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    The Leaning Tower of Pisa has been undergoing preservation work for centuries. In May 2008, after the removal of another 70 metric tons of earth, engineers announced that the Tower had been stabilized such that it had stopped moving for the first time in its history. They stated it would be stable for at least 200 years. Lets see then.

5. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    most of the pumpkins processed in the USA are processed in Illinois.

6. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    # The citrus soda 7-UP was created in 1929; “7″ was selected because the original containers were 7 ounces. “UP” indicated the direction of the bubbles.

# Mosquito repellents don’t repel. They hide you. The spray blocks the mosquito’s sensors so they don’t know you’re there.

# Dentists have recommended that a toothbrush be kept at least 6 feet away from a toilet to avoid airborne particles from the flush.

# The liquid inside young coconuts can be used as substitute for blood plasma.

# American car horns beep in the tone of F.

# No piece of paper can be folded into half more than 7 times.

# Donkeys kill more people annually than plane crashes.

# 1 in every 4 Americans has appeared on television.

# You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching television.

# Oak trees do not produce acorns until they are fifty years of age or older.

# The first product to have a bar code was Wrigley’s gum.

# The king of hearts is the only king without a mustache.

# A Boeing 747s wingspan is longer than the Wright brothers’ first flight.

# American Airlines saved $40,000 in 1987 by eliminating one olive from each salad served in first-class.

# Venus is the only planet that rotates clockwise.

# The first CD pressed in the US was Bruce Springsteen’s “Born in the USA.”

# Apples, not caffeine, are more efficient at waking you up in the morning.

# The 57 on the Heinz ketchup bottle represents the number of varieties of pickles the company once had.

# The plastic things on the end of shoelaces are called aglets.

# Most dust particles in your house are made from dead skin.

# The first owner of the Marlboro company died of lung cancer.

# Barbie’s full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts.

# Michael Jordan makes more money from Nike annually than all of the Nike factory workers in Malaysia combined.

# Adolf Hitler’s mother seriously considered having an abortion but was talked out of it by her doctor.

# Marilyn Monroe had six toes.

# All US Presidents have worn glasses. Some just didn’t like being seen wearing them in public.

# The sound of E.T. walking was made by someone squishing her hands in jelly.

# Debra Winger was the voice of E.T.

# Pearls melt in vinegar.

# It takes 3,000 cows to supply the NFL with enough leather for a year’s supply of footballs.

# Thirty-five percent of the people who use personal ads for dating are already married.

# It’s possible to lead a cow upstairs… but not downstairs.

# Humans are the only primates that don’t have pigment in the palms of their hands.

# Ten percent of the Russian government’s income comes from the sale of vodka.

# The sentence “The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog,” uses every letter in the alphabet. (Developed by Western Union to Test TELEX / TWO communications)

# Average life span of a major league baseball: 7 pitches.

# A duck’s quack doesn’t echo, and no one knows why.

# The airplane Buddy Holly died in was the “American Pie.” (Thus the name of the Don McLean song.)

# Each king in a deck of playing cards represents a great king from history:
    Spades - King David; Clubs - Alexander the Great;
    Hearts - Charlemagne; Diamonds - Julius Caesar.

# Clans of long ago that wanted to get rid of their unwanted people without killing them used to burn their houses down-hence the expression “to get fired.”

# Hershey’s Kisses are called that because the machine that makes them looks like it’s kissing the conveyor belt.

# Only one person in two billion will live to be 116 or older.

# Snails can sleep for 3 years without eating.

# Actor Tommy Lee Jones and US vice-president Al Gore were freshman roommates at Harvard.

# The fingerprints of koala bears are virtually indistinguishable from those of humans, so much so that they could be confused at a crime scene.

# Months that begin on a Sunday will always have a “Friday the 13th.

# The Eisenhower interstate system requires that one mile in every five must be straight. These straight sections are usable as airstrips in times of war or other emergencies.

# There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar.

# All of the clocks in the movie “Pulp Fiction” are stuck on 4:20

# A pregnant gold fish is called a twit

# Rocks explode in microwaves

# Steam rollers don’t actually roll steam

# 1,111,111 x 1,111,111 = 1234567654321

# Coca-Cola is better at cleaning your drain pipes than products like Draino

7. According to a study done by top researchers at Yale, child rapists hate the music of legendary rock band AC/DC.

8. incorrect the parent tree doesn't have to burn.

i always use pine cones in my tender to start a fire.

9. I knew all of theese

10. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Hey, let's not get political, now!

:ninja: OK, that was bad...

11. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    Actually it does its just that the way the quack sounds covers the echo...The myth busters did a whole segment on it...running around making ducks quack in sound studios and crap.

12. The Holy Roman Empire was neither Holy nor Roman.

13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Fact: John Turner will never be able to make a daily thread about factoids that won't be pounced on by other TBers and end up being a giant thread of factoids provided by other TBers.

14. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Here in the pine barrens, the scrub pines regrow after fires. I've heard it's beneficial because it clears out the undergrowth that competes for water and the ash enriches the poor, sandy soil.

15. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I've been known to dish out a fire climax once in a while when my wife does something really nice for me.

16. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    The only things able to survive a nuclear holocaust (a lolarcaust if you will) is dick clack, keith richards, and super cockroaches.

17. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    You forgot Indiana Jones.

18. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    And the cause of a lolarcaust is a lolarcauster?

19. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    He's been dead to me since The Crystal Skull.:scowl: