1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

jt's random factoid o'the day #2

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by john turner, Sep 15, 2008.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    one of the most important works in the development of computer science was the "lions book". written by an austrailian computer scientist - john lions - it included the complete source code of the 6th edition of the unix kernel, as it was developed by bell labs. originally used as teaching materials for courses that lions taught, it spread via photocopy to many folks learning unix and just coding in the 70's.

with the release of the 7th edition of the unix kernel, att/bell labs realized the huge commercial potential of unix, and removed their permission for the source code to be disseminated outside their labs, causing the lions book to become "banned literature". it spread napster-esque via photocopier across the world, and is considered one of the most photocopied works ever written.

an interesting consequence of att's decision was that teaching unix in universities became less common. by revoking the academic rights to disseminate the kernel source code, they made it less attractive to the developing computer science curricula at universities around the world to teach it, and other computing concepts took its place.

att really dropped the ball here. all one has to do is look at the popularity and prevalence of "c" above so many of its contemporaries, even now, as a computer language to get an idea of the influence in computing att/bell labs had in the beginning (they developed the original "c" syntax, it's name derived from the fact that this was their 2nd attempt at a usable language, after "b", named after bell labs).

one has to wonder what would have been the outcome had att not revoked the rights to the 6th edition unix kernel source code. the entire face of computing would have changed - unix was way more advanced and powerful, obviously, than any of the existing crap that served as OS's in the 70's, and much like c took precedence over most other computing languages starting in the 80's, unix could have done the same thing, almost 30 years ago.

the fact that unix is still around at all is a testament to its versatile design. if it had remained effectively academically "open source" from the beginning as it was, there's no telling the impact that would have had on computing.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    sitting here ssh'ed into various Solaris and Red Hat boxes I imagine it's be much like it is now... except maybe this WinXP pro work laptop might be running *nix as well.

3. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i wonder if the company that became microsoft would have gotten in the os business at all - after all, if unix had maintained the success and popularity it had earlier in the 70's, both early pcs and original apples would have no doubt been using some variant of the kernel.

4. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I used to do this for my radio show.

I must say: I was way more entertaining.

:p

5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :rolleyes: wow. you certainly have great taste in individuals to troll.

6. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao EspaƱa
    WoW so jokes are trolling now?

7. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    JT, I was just messin', man. I would never say something like that seriously.

"Why so serious? Let's put a smile on that face!!" :)

8. They just reunded us $10.51, only to bill us 3 days later for $12 something. Ther dum.

9. Yeah- how can anyone take cute lil ol Spankypants seriously? I mean, just look at that avatar. [gramma pinching your cheeks saying, 'Awww, ain't he sweet' smilie]

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :eyebrow:

11. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Fixed.

12. Dear God, it would be the end of me (earlier than scripted).

Mike

13. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Had it not been for Unix I suspect even today we would think Lotus 123 was a powerful program. :D

14. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    :)

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :bassist: