1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

jt's random factoid o'the day #3

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by john turner, Sep 16, 2008.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the oldest temple in the world that has so far been discovered is called gobekli tepe. it can be found in turkey, about 30 miles north of syria. its earliest layers found so far have been dated to 11000 b.c., almost 13,000 years ago, 9000 years older than stonehenge.

one of the things that makes this temple complex interesting, beyond its age, is that it was built, not by a complex agricultural society, but by an earlier hunter-gatherer society, and it seems to be a monument. this is unusual because hunting-based early human societies were not known to make lasting non-domestic structures before. they were thought to be mostly nomadic, and in fact, sites like this one are thought to have been the motivation for building cities - as the archeaologist credited with the discovery has said, "first came the temple, than came the city"

this site may be where early man first decided to settle down and pursue an agricultural existence. dna tests done on modern wheat compared to various wild wheat from around the world show the closest connections to wild wheat from the area of this temple, hinting at its origins near there.

this could be the craddle of human civilization.

2. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    That's old school.

3. I'm old skool. :smug:

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    no school like the old school

IncredibleFrankOllie.

5. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I just watched Evil Dead 2 last night. It gets my thumbs up approval, but not my official seal of approval.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    But... the earth is only 8000 years old. How can the temple be older than that?

"First came the temple, then came the planet"?

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Loving the facts.

8. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium

:D

9. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Earth is the temple's egg. Apparently, it's still attached.

10. This is an old school:

[​IMG]

11. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    That is amazing John. I find it very intersting that man from the beginning felt the need to 'worship' something.

12. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I find it interesting as well, but proably not for the same reasons you do.

(That's as much trolling as I'm willing to do in this particular thread... today.)