1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

jt's random factoid o'the day #4

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by john turner, Sep 17, 2008.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the mathematics behind sine, cosine and arctangents (i.e. basic trig) were all developed in india in the 15th century, two hundred years before calculus - the first examples of a power series.

mathematicians in india were the first to begin using the concept of zero, around the 4th century b.c. as well as fractions and powers of base 10, and the earliest usage of base 10 logarithms.

india : cradle of modern mathematics.

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Interestingly enough, India was also a pioneer in the field of wearing brown polyester trousers with short sleeve two pocket shirts.

3. Zero's my hero.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Wait... I thought the Mayan culture was credited for developing mathematical concepts regarding zero.

I'm off to Google... *whoosh!*

5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    mayan math was a base 20 system. apparently they didn't wear their shoes when they did their math heh :D.

from what i've found, the mayan civilisation did independantly, and contemporaneously, develop the concept of zero, but their discovery did not propagate outside their culture. only relatively recently was this figured out, from what i can tell.

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ooo good stuff this mayan math. definitely fodder for a future FOTD. :hyper:

7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao EspaƱa
    Hmmmm Have you realized JT that your avatar still has hair?

8. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    You can't leave out Madras Slacks!

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    my head does too. in the same place :).

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Yes, the Mayan math system is pretty nifty. I studied it in school MANY years ago, and it threw me when you mentioned the Indians developed zero before them.

Of interesting note, both the ancient Mayans and the ancient Indians believed in cyclical time, and both theorized the end of the world right around the same time. Hmmm...