Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Juan alderete of the mars volta

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lowmid, May 8, 2005.

1. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    Hello, juste read an article on the BP website which describes the pedalboard of Juan alderete of the mars volta, it seems it is one enormous pedalboard
    could someone scan the pic of it in the magazine???
    I think it's inthe march 2005 issue

that would be frikking great

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I haven't got a scanner but I can tell you its over 2 boards, and to be honest very badly layed out could be much neater and take up less space.

I think both boards have a tier or shelf as well, but again they look like they are homemade, just out of scraps of wood.

Hope this helps

3. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    thanks but i'd really like the pic

big thanks anyway!!

he's a great bass player isn't he?

4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Yeah he's cool but not my fav effect user on bass.

Its difficult to tell in that band where the sound is coming, but its all good

5. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    sure but i don't know Just like him a lot

ps: is it flea playing in the song state your preference??? the chorus is tipically fleaish!!

6. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK

"when Flea played bass on the De-Loused record, they made him play a Fender bass. He came down with all his gear, and they just said, “Man, can you please play this".

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  8. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    You definitly rock!!!

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I know. :D

:bag:

10. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    You're just jealous :p

11. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK

Aye :scowl:

12. That sucks. :spit:

13. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    maybe the modulus is a little too modern sounding for the band... you know, the volta has a precision and ampeg tone , if flea kicked out with his modulus/GK tone, it would have been a little bit strange

14. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    You gotta do whats right for the song and slapping on a modulus would have made that album go straight to the bargin bin at best buy.

15. I was lucky enough to see the mars volta last night in providence @ lupo's...they were absolutely amazing...juan's tone was totally great, his fuzzes (both the fulltone and the big muff) were awesome, super gritty, super thick...he even let his pn-2 tremolo ring out and even in mono it was dizzying with his pulsating thunder...his filter and wah tone also were amazing...he totally drove the songs w/ jon on the drums and really allowed for omar to go absolutely nuts on the guitar...he just held it down so tight, even during their crazy jams...i kno hes got a LOT of effects on a messy board, be despite how crazy his sound can get, he still manages to hold down a tight pocket (or throw in some pure noise when necessary)...even all the stuff form de-loused he held down perfectly...im glad they made flea strip down for that cd, cuz if there was crazy rhcp funk/rock in there, it would suck...but its just straight grooving...im gonna have to see them again w/ SOAD this summer...i suggest to every1 to see that shoe if u can, even if u dont like SOAD, cuz TMV was hands down the 2nd best show ive even been too (audioslave @ the electric factory in philly was the best, but not by much...)

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sasw them on cinco de mayo. Great tone./

17. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    wow

18. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Toasted saw them recently and said all he was using was a Roland V Bass on a Lakland DJ I believe. :eek:

But he is a very cool vintage style player with vintage gear but a new sound (IMHO) a great role model for effect users

19. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Toasted knows nothing. I was kinda, uhm, distracted from the bass playing for most of the set. If i'd known what effects he was running then I would have gotten up close for a look. And now i realise it wasnt a DJ, it was the Franken-P with the big old bridge on it - it looked like the lakland oval for a while.

20. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    YOU LIED TO ME :bawl: