1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Juan Alderete

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by xEriatarka, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Anyone a big fan of this bassist? He was the bassist for Racer X and is currently the bassist for The Mars Volta (who is my personal favorite band) and Big Sir. He has also started recent side project, Vato Negro, with drummer Mathias Sherrod.

He is easily my biggest influence as a bassist. Without him, I would've never fallen in love with Jaco or jazz. Not to mention my pedal set up was put together to get most of his experimentalness.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I hated Racer X, but since he's taken on an experimental tinge, I dig him. He makes the Mars Volta sound more like a complete band, his playing added a new dynamic, and his effects usage is inspirational.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Love Juan, hated Racer X, liked The Mars Volta for about 15 minutes, then they got on my nerves really bad and now I can't take it. The grandiose song titles and the singer who sings out of tune a lot and the choppiness...it got to be all too much. But Juan Alderete is superb.

4. Man, I love RACER X, always will:bag:

When it comes to Heavy Metal they're one of my all time favourite bands.
    Heard them first in 1988 (I think) and bought every record since.
    I love the singer Jeff Martin - just great.
    I haven't heard the Mars Volta but gotta check them out, I heard he plays a bit more complex lines and their music has nothing to do with the RACER X metal.
    Great bassplayer, although his instructional video is kind of an 80s joke.

5. It's worth it just for SCARIFIED at the end:bassist:

It would be cool to see his Fender signature bass get released

6. Apparently you can order them in the custom shop now. I really want to look into them, but just don't quite have the money yet...so I think I'll probably wait a bit.

I never knew he had an instructional video. Hopefully he'll make another. Sorry, but I don't want to suffer through 80sness

7. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    I liked him better when he was John, not Juan. I've always wondered if he became John for Racer X, or Juan for Mars Vomit.....hmmmm