1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Juan/Jaco style

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DaveyBoy11122, May 10, 2010.

1. DaveyBoy11122

DaveyBoy11122

Jun 28, 2008
    One of my biggest influences on my bass playing is Juan from the Mars Volta, and one of his is Jaco. What can I do to absorb some technique from Jaco? Good pieces to learn from him?

Dave

2. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    Two pieces that I think really capture his fingerstyle and tone are "The Chicken," and "Come on, Come Over."

Check those out and he also has some great youtube videos out there.

3. Pick up his self-titled CD, it has everything you're looking for on it.

4. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    The things you like

5. Bassguy87564

Bassguy87564

Jul 5, 2006
    NJ
    I would have to say "Dry Cleaner from Des Moines" with Joni Michell singing and also "Havona" is a great tune. Jaco also has a book call Modern Electric Bass, pick that up and go though it with a bass teacher that will help you master his technique.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm a huge aco fan...that said, I still cannot recommend his Modern Electric Bass book or DVD.
    There are 2 or 3 Transcription books that are worth looking into...IIRC, Hal Leonard put them out.