Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Juan/Mars Volta Fulltone fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JPrisus, Jun 8, 2005.

1. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    So Juan talks about this Fulltone Fuzz he loves, and i can't find any info on it anywhere. It's bright orange with two chickenhead knobs. any ideas? Love his tone.

Thanks!

2. I wonder about that too! I havnt seen one like it ANYWHERE...maybe its something they discontinued or he had custom made...i saw them live recently, but i couldnt get a good view of anything on his board...he deffo had 2 different fuzz tones (what im assuming was his big muff was a little more controlled than the orange box)

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    1) Orange box is a custom fulltone fuzz
    2) Sovtek Fuzz Distortion II, from the 70's
    3) 70's EHX bass micro synth set for fuzz / distortion sounds.

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I also recall reading that he has a Big Muff.

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Not on the pictures of his board in BP.

6. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Big Muff = Sovtek Fuzz

7. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Just saw something on Ebay called a Fulltone "Hybrid fuzz"... looks like Juan's, except it's white, not orange. Germanium/silicone hybrid circuit design, from '93.

ah, whatever, i should be practicing instead lol...

8. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Actually, check out the new issue of Bass Guitar magazine... his board has changed quite a bit since the BP interview.

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK

Yes, in later incarnations, but the one that he has is not a big muff. It is a precursor to the big muff. I am right.

10. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK

Could you provide a scan?

11. 2 things

1: can some1 get a scan/link to the pic from the new bass guitar mag up so we can all see the updates to his board

2: in BP, he says hes using a 2nd reissue sovtek fuzz...isnt that the same thing as a 2nd reissue russian big muff? they look EXACTLY the same, cept all the paint peeled off his

12. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Congratulations ;)

13. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Sorry guys but i don't have a scanner. It's not just one picture, actually 3 or 4 that are part of a collage. Looks like he added a few little things, like a Mutron IV and more delays. Also some kind of MXR Fat Fuzz that i can't find anywhere.

Timmy C is on the cover... brother plays a double neck Jazz bass now, the wacko...

14. Juan Alderete de la Peña pedal boards

[​IMG]

15. yo man...that's the BP article...

if you read the description, there's none for pedal "22"
    and 21 (in the picture) isn't the DL4...

I know this because there was a correction in the next issue

16. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    21 is actually the expression pedal for the DL4... i can forgive that :smug:

17. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    so does anybody have any scans of the bass guitar magazine article?

18. tanuki

tanuki Bass Minotaur

Dec 13, 2004
    bristol, england
    i checked the web site and it seemed to have les claypool on the cover for the latest issue