1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Juan Nelson ( Innocent Criminals ).

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BobaFret, Sep 22, 2008.

1. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    I watched a live Ben Harper concert last night on an HD channel I get and Juan was really good. I have some of the Harper stuff and like it but live the bass was great. He covers quite a bit technique wise and is very versatile because of that. I was blown away.

I you haven't heard the guy you should. He embodies most of what I like in a bass player. He could do a lot more but usually just sits back and lets the overall music develop. I love the virtuoso stuff as well buy not nearly as much as I like a rock solid performance.

Here is a little clip if you don't know about him.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0uPPg0sRPg

2. He's one of my favorite bass players because he can rip the bass to shreds and has chops most would die for, and can sit in the pocket better than most. He is truly one of the talents that all bassists can learn from. Says alot about Ben Harper too, both who he surrounds himself with, and the people that want to play with him. A great band to see live.

Plus Juan's new yellow jazz bass is SICK!!

Juan Nelson

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    one of my favorites as well!

4. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008

That's what I'm talking about. He's is a sick player. Not sure what he's really like but he seems like he'd be a fun guy to hang with. Always looks like he's having so much fun.

5. I also recommend checking out Sundance's "Live at Abbey Road" series. Ben was on there a couple weeks ago.

6. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    VERY NICE!!!!!!!

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

7. Man, that's what I'm talkin' about... chops, tone, groove, attitude. That guy is the real deal!

8. awesome, thanks for sharing

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    indeed! Juan is one of the players I think about when people go off on how there is 'no good new music any more'... There are soooo many cats doin' amazing stuff out there every day. :bassist:

10. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    my kind of bassist, really grooves and always holds down the bottom. I saw him live with BH and his tone through the PA was gloriously fat and pumping.

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Juan Nelson is a killer and a reminder of just how good a Fender V Deluxe can sound.:)

12. Mmmmm, tasty! I love Ben and his band. Now I wish I could get the fiancee to like them. :(

13. Vicko

Vicko

Apr 27, 2005
    Madrid
    I've seen them three times live round here in Spain.

In one of them, Ben had some issues with one of his "wessterbergs" (or whatever they are called). Before his technician sneaked in the scenary Juan was aware of the situation. He looked at the drummer and then at the percussonist :ninja: , slight gestures from one another and a get a furious jam started from the groove they were holding so when the guitar were available again, they can cool it down and Ben step in.

Since Ben had been quite a bit upset :)eek: :rollno: :scowl: almost vehemently), most of the people caught attention of everything, otherwise it all would have sound natural, just "another improvisation as rehearsed" turned into one of the highlights of the show. Many even began to hail "Jua-ni-to! Jua-ni-to!"

My friends were really amazed (Is "jawdropped" a valid word?). "Cosas del directo" as we usually say.

Juan es un capo.

PS: Once again excuse my english.

14. Great story Vicko!

15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I dug Juan's groove on Bill Wither's 'Use Me' on that show!

16. Man, it's true, you can't go wrong with him. That's just tasty playing.

17. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Great player!

18. Juan Nelson is a reminder of how good bass can sound.

He's also playing a Fender Jazz now, just 4 strings. Man can he tear that thing up!

19. Stifflip

Stifflip

Jan 20, 2006
    Here's a clip of Juan with Big Advice:

20. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I just think that Fender deserves some love as well as Juan since it gets attacked so much.

Obviously, Juan has a cast iron groove that would dominate even if he were playing a washtub.:D