Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Juan Nelson's Rig????

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by einsig, Mar 12, 2001.

1. einsig

einsig

Mar 12, 2001
    I'm curious as to what Juan Nelson's (Ben Harper's bassist) live rig is. I know he uses 2 SWR Goliath III's and 1 other SWR cabinet, but as to the rest of his gear I haven't a clue. Can anyone fill me in? Thanks.

2. I saw him on TV, and it looked like he was using an MTD Five string...I'm not entirely sure...

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I saw him live on PBS's, "Sessions at W. 54th." He was using a Modulus and an Ampeg SVT. However, he is associated with SWR as an endorser. I think the reason for the SVT is that several broadcast studios seem to offer them as a house rig and the artists use them instead of going to the trouble to have someone cart in a special rig. "The Tonight Show" seems to have them as their house rig.

4. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    I saw Ben Harper in 1999 at the Coachella festival and from what I could see Juan was using an MTD 5 string, 2 SWR Goliath III 4x10's, a Big Ben 1x18 and at least 2 SWR SM-900's. Not sure what else was in his rack but it was pretty full and about the size of a 4x10 cab.