Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Judas Priest-Revolution

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bass_drum, Apr 30, 2005.

1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Is it just me or is the intro in this song played on a bass?

If so, do any of you guys have any clue what distortion/effects he uses to get that sound?

2. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Not sure what he uses except for Spector basses and Ampeg amps, but that is definitely the bass in the song intro. If I had to guess, I'd say a Sansamp. It doesn't sound like an overdriven amp. It sounds more like the distortion tone I get with my Spectors when I use my Sansamp as a distortion pedal.
    Awesome record!!!

3. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Sorry for sounding like a total newb, but whats a sansamp?

4. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    A SansAmp is a DI box, and a lot of people like to use them to get a nice overdriven tone. I'm sure a more experienced user will help you to find the right settings for this particular case. It would be a great tool to have (if only I had the money!)

Graeme

5. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    So Sansamp=DI box with EQ and Effects?

6. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Yep. Well, just one effect really (the overdrive).

Graeme

7. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Yes, the sansamp is a direct box. I use the Sansamp Bass Driver DI. It's got 2 tone controls (bass and treble), Presence, Drive, Level, and Blend (it allows you to blend you bass signal with their "tube" emulation circuitry. I originally purchases it for recording at home with my computer, but I actually use it as my distortion pedal. I had a Electro-Harmonix Big Muff that I'd liked in the store (with a passive G&L), but found it sucked with the active Spector basses (alot of the distortion pedals don't work well with the EMG equipped basses vs. a passive bass). I like the Sansamp because of the control over the distortion and tone. You can see the pedal at www.sansamp.com. They make a number of pedals, amps, rack units, etc.

8. I thought it sounded like a bass through a guitar amp.
    Saw PRIEST live and the bass intro sounded a lot more meatier than on record.

Incidentally, it was nice to see Ian Hill, normally content to stand in the shadows, take centre stage for this song.
    :bassist: Go Ian!

9. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Last Ozzfest Ian was using Spector basses into two SWR SM900's and four SWR Triad cab's.

10. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    That is Ian on bass in the beginning of that tune, I seen the new Vid this weekend, I'm an old school metal head and that song kills!!! It's like time stood still with those guy's.. Great tune! I'm gonna pick that disc up this week.