1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Judging GC Drum Off

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Orangeclawhammr, Oct 3, 2009.

1. My friend has been playing drums for 45 years. His nephew manages the drum section at a Southeast MI Guitar Center. The nephew asked my friend to judge the Drum-Off that is currently going on. I went with him.

Last week wasn’t too bad. I hit the bass room and would up playing “Boris the Spider” for some youngsters who were with someone related to one of the contestants.
    This week was different. The other two judges did not show up, so my friend suggested that I judge the competition. His reasoning is that I was there and that I’ve listened to more music than anyone he knows. I’ve also been taking drum lessons this year. Another judge had already been found, but he does not play music at all.

As far as I could tell, we all ranked the competitors about the same, with the flashiest drummers finishing at the top. However, my observation is that if I were a headliner looking for sidemen for a gig, I’d have picked the guy that I gave the lowest score to because there was no way that I could tell how the “winners” could perform the parts of the set where they weren’t soloing, which is, what, about 95% of the set? Even Buddy Rich only took one solo at the show I went to. These guys certainly have talent, but I’d be concerned about them throwing in something creative or flashy when I need them to keep the beat. The guy who I scored the lowest (notice, I do NOT say he’s a loser because he is not) demonstrated that he could keep time and perform basic drumming tasks.

No, I have no idea why I’m posting this in a bass forum.

2. WyrmDL

WyrmDL

Feb 15, 2008
    I can't stand listening to most drum solos. You can have the most flash and bang, speed and chops, and it would still amount to very little in my eyes.

The only time when I like a drum solo is when it can groove like a mofo, or can distinguish a distinct style. Fast blazing rolls everywhere is just =/

Really good example (first half-ish):

He's got so much pizazz and tricks, but if you close your eyes and listen, it's just completely unbearable. He's got some neat beats, but there's no FEEL. Absolutely none.