Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Juggernaut

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DRN, Apr 6, 2003.

1. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    Has anyone played with this yet? Is it out yet? I have been looking for one in a store so I can test drive it but no luck.

Any review or status would be great.

By the way I did a search I am looking for some newer reviews. :D

2. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Yes it is out...

Alex

3. It's out indeed :)

But I think there isn't anyone around yet who owns this nice pedal. Over here in Europe it isn't even available yet! :(

4. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    Hey! That thing's a little more expensive than I had hoped! Oh well I'm definitely going to have to try before I buy on that one.

5. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    The price is the same reason I was looking for reviews and wanted to try one at a store. Bassplayer magazine listed it at $275.00 or something like that. If it was $125 or $150 I would buy one on the net to try it out but @ 275.00 it is not worth the hassle of paying shipping both ways if I do not like it.

Thanks for the info.

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    musictoyz.com has it for $175, and pedalgeek.com say they're getting it in stock any day now. I'm assuming their price will be close to that of musictoyz.

Dan @ Pedalgeek has always been very friendly and responsive to questions and any customer support issues. In addition, the 'in stock' indicators at pedalgeek seem to be more accurate than those of musictoyz.

7. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I just ordered a Fulltone Bass Drive from musictoyz.com yesterday but I would have probably ordered this one instead if I knew it was out. Anyone know how musictoyz.com's return policy is? I have never heard either of these pedals but I bought the Fulltone based on the general consensus around here and elsewhere on the web. Also, I liked the idea of having two channels.

8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Musictoyz have a no quibbles 5 day return policy, you don't have to contact them for an RMA or anything - just send it back to them.

Believe me, they're not perfect, but they've always handled returns well when I've dealt with them.

I got a Juggernaut yesterday from them, I didn't intend on keeping it but was curious as to how it sounded. Unfortunately, the unit is busted and I get nothing when I engage the effect. I'd like to hear from anyone who's tried a working one.

One thing - It's built like a fricking tank, and it's pretty heavy. I'm not sure how well it would stick to a pedalboard if you velcro'd it.

BTW, I have the Fulltone and love it. I've tried most od/distortion pedals out there, and it was the one that best fit my needs. I need to go from mild od to distortion at the touch of a button sometimes, and the Fulltone lets me do that. There's also the Barber deep fryer which has two channels, and the Sansamp TRI-AC which has three programmable channels.

9. fclefgeoff

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Thanks David. Yeah, I have read quite a few of your posts (and others here) regarding the Fulltone. I'm not looking for anything "over the top" so I think the Fulltone will be good. I have a Modulus VJ4 and an SWR Silverado. Both are known for their "clean/hi-fi" sound and I was looking for a pedal that could dirty it up a bit and maybe give me a "Tubey" sorta overdrive. BTW, I also use a Sadowsky Outboard on occasion, what do you think would be the best arrangement of my signal chain? Should the Preamp be first followed by the Fulltone, or vice versa? OR, should I attempt to sidechain the Fulltone? This might give me more control as far as blending goes.
    That sucks about your Juggernaut. Please post a review if/when you get a Juggernaut that works. :D

BTW, You don't happen to have any sound clips of your Fulltone that you could post do you?

10. Maybe just a loose wire? I guess opening it up might void your return options but if you were careful...they'd never know! I don't think there is much in there to go wrong. You could probably spot anything obvious right away? We want to know what you think?!

[​IMG]

11. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    No clips of the Fulltone sorry, I don't have anything to record onto. The fulltone can definitely do a tubey overdrive. The second channel on the fulltone is for distortion boost only. If you're just interested in mild overdrive, the fulltone might be too much for you. Maybe something like a Dredgetone Angler, BJF Blueberry Bass OD or one of those new Hao Rust Drivers.

As for ordering of distortion and sadowsky DI, there's really no right or wrong answer. Whatever order produces the sound you want is the right order for you.

If you're planning on using the DI on the sadowsky then obviously you should have that last in the chain. Generally, I prefer to have the overdrive/distortion prior to any additional eq. As my basses are all active, the sound out of the bass is already pretty much eq'd how I want it.

12. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I did take a quick peek, the battery slot is in the middle of the underside of the pedal. Nothing obvious. The led's go on and off, and it works fine in bypass mode.

I'll have another look tonight

13. fclefgeoff

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Good point. Duh. I guess I didn't consider that. :p

14. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Another killer pedal worth trying is the Carl Martin Heavy Drive. Keeps all the lows & has a decent tone control section, nice & gritty too!

later,
    EL DIABLO

15. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i thought the juggernaut was two channel?

16. The Duecetone RAT is. Not sure what those controls on the Juggernaut are as the site doesn't offer up enough info. Two switches though...? There is a blend AND a master volume. FX loop as well which is cool. I'm sure DavidMWilson will inform us all shortly.

17. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Clips of my Fulltone are available at http://www.geocities.com/basseffects/ .
    It's only noodling, don't expect good music.
    I basically tried to cover the whole range of the instrument with different settings.

The Fulltone is the best bass overdrive I've tried so far. It has loads of low end and preserves your tone perfectly.
    The 2 channel make it really versatile.

18. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    you rang?

OK, first of all, it's definitely busted. Going back on Monday.

As for being two channel, it really doesn't seem to be, which is a disappointment. It didn't come with a manual, so I can't say for sure. I'm guessing the 'Master On/Off' activates the effects loop and master volume for a clean boost. And 'Rat' obviously kicks in the distortion channel.

[​IMG]

19. You know what? I think that is a very cool and unique feature. Think about it; not only do you have access to a rippin' bass-specific fuzz/distortion box but you also get a loop/bypass switch for any weird or non-true bypass pedals you may have i.e. old Mutron, MXR, EH, etc. That's allot of flexibility and decent bang for yer buck. Nifty.
    :bassist:

20. david, when you get a review up, i'll stick it to the top of the forum, since this is probably the most posted thread asking about a kind of distortion pedal