Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Juggling bands and loyalty........

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Tim Cole, May 13, 2003.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I know a lot of guys on here have 3 or more bands, and just wondered how this works. I have been in my current band for a year now, but it;s on it's way out I am sure. I received 2 calls this week for other bands, and accepted them both. One of them is a semi-established cover band, they have played a few gigs (opening for my current band :D ). I decided to give that a go, to have something to do when AN burns out all together......this call was yesterday. Today I got another call about joining a new project getting together, I know the guys so I said sure to that also. So here I sit as it is in 3 bands.

How do you decide preference on which band gets the most loyalty? I mean......what if your bands double book weekends? Interfering practice schedules, etc.

Not sure where to start, we will see how this works.

2. I always made it clear that I was in three bands, and I always made it clear which band came first.

And everybody was cool with that. Maybe 'cause most of the people in the other two bands played in others as well.

But, come to think of it, the first band didn't dig it so much - to them, I was "their bassist" and I couldn't play with anyone else :rolleyes: . Maybe that's why I left.

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Heh.....same vibe I am getting from my main one also :D

4. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

I think I need to play in a few different bands at a time. I like writing in pretty diverse styles so each project I play in meets part or all of those. Plus, in each group I can play a different role musically. Sometime lead bass and drums, sometimes basslines and sonic tectures.

For me each band has worked independent of the others and it has been no problem with scheduling, luckily some shared members. I dig it when I can play 5 nights a week in 3 or 4 different groups and not get burned out on any one. With different band styles comes different fans, and not having to try and draw the same people out too often.

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I've always been up front and honest with all persons involved... Also, I don't let one project/group interfere with the other. Scheduling and communication are very important.

6. Playing in more than one band is a lot like dating more than one women/(or man) at a time. It's OK if everybody is up front but, sooner or later there is going to be conflicts. It's just Standard Operation BullSh!t.

7. ibanezman80

ibanezman80

May 7, 2003
    Canada
    If u wanna get the crowd into right off the start... write your own songs that'll get 'em pumped!

8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    ibanez.....I think you replied to the wrong thread by mistake....but for argumens sake, I have to disagree. Nothing like music people have never heard before to kill the crowd response!

9. ibanezman80

ibanezman80

May 7, 2003
    Canada
    Start out with your own fast stuff, do some covers in the middle, n people will still like you and be pumped up. Then get a full length cd out there 4 people to buy n' they'll know your tunes n' u won't have to do covers all the time.

10. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    That's already the way we've done it. I still see no relevance to this thread though...........

11. I think what he's read it as (probably just scanning through?) is one band doing loads of different styles.

Instead we're talking about loads of different bands, in the same style or not.

Actually, that's a good question; if you are in loads (say..... five) different bands, is it better they be in the same style or totally different styles?

12. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I'm a whore.....I'll play with whatever is paying nowadays. My original band, all the money is going back into the band, but these other two are going to be cash and carry gigs.

I'm mainly a rock, rock/funk/ nu-metal player....but I'd also like to do some blues jams, or even some classic rock.

A couple years ago I sat in with a classic country band for about a month. We did one, 1 hour practice before we gigged......an easy 90% of the material I had never heard before in my life, but that stuff is so predictable it's pathetic......was a good time though! They thought I was the best country player in the area, and begged me to join, but I declined....they found someone after a while.

SHOW ME THE MONEY :D

13. :D Same here..... over the summer, I'm just gonna play with whoever will offer to pay me, no matter what the music is.

Or at least, I'm gonna try to.

14. ibanezman80

ibanezman80

May 7, 2003
    Canada
    sorry everybody, i've been posting messages on the wrong thread. i will go away now