1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jule Amps Monique part 5

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Nov 27, 2013.

1. jharms80439

jharms80439 Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Evergreen, CO
    OMG! You're having way too much fun! :thumbsup: Perhaps you are working a bit much though - (as my wife tells me too) it's SATURDAY! I'm in the office writing investor financials, so I get it...

HMB was always too funny as the touri never knew how to dress. Being in CO, I still miss the Pumpkin Festival, well that and the old Obster winery as you entered HMB on Hwy 92. Winery (was) still there a few years ago - no idea now.

Sorry I was confused on the model names too. I think that I have it now - Simone is the pedal pre and S500 is the pedal amp. Just shoot me it I've buggered it up again. If that is correct - I like it...

Anyway, -9VDC is a good choice as it keeps everything standardized from a pedal perspective - and externals that supply 2ADC on a single output are a bit rare but they are available if the original fails.

Got it on the knobs - thought that might be the case on the Sensitivity knob as that makes a bunch of sense to me in separating the two. Regarding the Drive control, can it be minimized to reflect the original character of the Monique - and maximized to add "Drive"?

FWIW and for my own purposes, I'm unsure about the Boost as I'm looking primarily for unity gain when running multiple preamps on my own pedal board. Currently I use different preamps as a method to get different tones so Bypass is huge for me. If there are two foot switches, I'd personally vote for Boost and Bypass.

No prob on the pricing as I understand how costs can fluctuate during development. Sounds like you are fairly set on the design - which is good news for all of us out in the wild. I'm sure you'll post it here too. BTW, what are your planned first production run numbers for the Simone and pedal sized power amp? I'm sure competition here will be fierce to get in line for one/both!

Thanks again - I/we look forward to more updates!

John

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  2. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    Perhaps it should be called, "intuition"

juledude and jharms80439 like this.
  3. juledude

juledude Creator of the Monique Preamplifer and Bass Amps. Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 10, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Owner and creator Jule Amps. Creator of the Monique Bass Preamplifier
    You 'da Man, Luke. :D

DirtyDuke likes this.
  4. jharms80439

Nov 23, 2004
    Evergreen, CO
    Jule,

By chance have you finalized dimensions and in/out's on the Simone & Intuition? I'm in the layout stages of a new pedalboard to host them.

Thanks!

John

juledude likes this.
  5. Hi @juledude - is it possible to have an internal switch to choose EITHER mute or bypass for that stomp switch? I see myself using each option in different bands/contexts.

juledude and jharms80439 like this.
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Sometimes making it into a stage with my cabs can be tough, so I roll in my double Jule Amps rack (Monique + M2500) and drop it on top of the stage amp (This time a perfectly whatever GK head and Ampeg 810). And while I may not love the sound of that cab the best, I can hear myself...and I know that the Monique will do fine out front.

And from a Jule's eye point of view:

[​IMG]

Also, there was a girl right up front against those subs and every time I hit low C in that song, she'd start smiling big at me.

7. juledude

juledude Creator of the Monique Preamplifer and Bass Amps. Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 10, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    The amp 500 watt amp base is 7.5" x 7.5" (19.05cm x 19.05cm). It sits 3" tall (7.62cm).

Simone is 7.25" x 4.75" (18.42cm x 11.43cm) and is 3.25" (8.25cm) tall.

jharms80439 likes this.
  8. juledude

Dec 10, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I suspect I might be getting you into a potential noise generating area if I added the additional wiring to make both options available. Every time we add wire to that input signal we add potential for trouble. I see the advantage of having both options, but I fret.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  9. juledude

Dec 10, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Great crowd. Outstanding picture. Thank you.

Right this moment, I'm gleefully playing that memory stick you sent me a few years back. Still in awe of that collection of beautiful.

We're all playing for that low C person in the front row. :D

10. NPetrou

NPetrou

Feb 8, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Hey all,

In a bit of an emergency situation here with my Monique Rackmount 700 and wondering if someone could lend their insight:

The power amp switch is not working. When I try and turn it upwards to turn it on, sometimes it gets stuck and sometimes it goes all the way up without turning on the power amp. I am confident that it's more than just the light not working. The preamp/DI piece still works fine (and that saved me last night), but I do have a gig tonight and am trying to avoid renting from guitar center.

Has anyone encountered this before? I've also reached out to Jule via email on this but figured it's worth asking the TB community.

Thank you for any thoughts,
    Nick

juledude likes this.
  11. pmad_bass

pmad_bass Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Quick question.....I need to use my Monique but will need more power than the Mini can deliver. I'll be using the amp section of my GK RB2001. Not having done this before....I think/do I: just take the out from the Monique into the return of the GK? I assume one would not take the Monique output and run into the regular input of the GK...if that is even do-able. Just being cautious.

Thanks in advance.

juledude likes this.
  12. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Try both. When going into the front slowly turn up GK pre and adjust Monique output and you will be able to set and forget the level that works. Then use your Monique eq and input like you do. If I remember GK has a Master so dial that for volume. I do this with an AER Basic Performer. It actually sounds best into the front rather than into the return. Yours may be optimum into the return. Of course my eq is off or “flat” on the AER pre when going in instrument input. I have dialed back some AER treble to eliminate any noise.

juledude and pmad_bass like this.
  13. juledude

Dec 10, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I know we covered this on the fone this morning, but this might help someone else in the future. A replacement should be available locally at any hardware or electrical store, but if you search on Ebay for "switch DPDT 15 amp" you can find them there too.

14. juledude

Dec 10, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Yup. Exactly.

chadds likes this.
  15. jharms80439

Nov 23, 2004
    Evergreen, CO
    Jule,

Thank you for the dimensions! My pedalboard is built and is awaiting the Simone & Intuition. Reconfigured my other board to remain as my wireless setup. If the Simone ends up being the tone end all, my Frog F-1X (Alembic clone) may be on the sale block and your pre replacing the Frog on my wireless board!

It seems that as small efficient cabs become (somewhat) the norm, the visual of a large pre/amp setup or rack overhanging miniature cabs is to me a bit visually displeasing (IMHO). I am truly grateful that you are developing amps in a pedalboard format. I suspect that others may follow your lead!

I remember when I mounted my (former) Quilter BB800 to my pedalboard and posted pics here on TB, I was flamed pretty hard from the naysayers who didn't quite get the convenience factor of the amp on a pedalboard. Happy to see that there are others are open to converting to a nonconventional amp mounting method on a pedalboard. To me it just makes sense...

Thanks again,

John

Spaceman Ian, juledude and BassikBrad like this.
  16. Spaceman Ian

Spaceman Ian MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Baltimore, Md
    MBasses
    Anybody using a Bergantino NV115 (or two) with a Jule Amp configuration?

How about a Jule Amp and Bergantino HG310 or HG410?!!

juledude likes this.
  17. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Yes. My favorite is Monique through a Berg IP112 with an NV115 below.

I do have two NV115s and use that as a stack occasionally, it’s a more growly rig. The IP stack is more clinical and clean. The mix and match is my favorite.

18. Acoustic356

Acoustic356 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    @juledude do you think this is a microphonic tube or something else?

I noticed it when I was giving lessons today... Was planning on using it on a gig tomorrow.. Looking at alternatives now...

juledude likes this.
  19. juledude

Dec 10, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Please contact me with email directly at jule@juleamps.com

bigmikebass and gkbass13 like this.
  20. juledude

Dec 10, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Glad we are back to making music. A tube replacement did the trick.

That first tube (the one on the far right) will cause a variety of strange noises when it decides to abuse us/quit. After 9 years of experience with Monique I can confidently say that if you hear a strange noise (chirp, whine, roar, thump, singing, static, ringing, strange harmonic - or for some of us, strange voices) just change that 6SL7/6N9P tube on the far right. The voices may or may not go away. ;)

In a pinch (replacement tube not immediately available) you can swap the left 6SL7 with the right 6SL7 until you can get a replacement. I know it sounds silly, but it isn't. It has done the trick more than once. I could bore us all with a technical diatribe as to why this works, but life is too short.

In those 9 years, and many hundreds of Moniques, I think I have heard of only a couple of 12AU7 tubes quitting. They just keep working. Do not use a 12AX7 as a replacement. It will work, but as Ray Wylie Hubbard says in Snakefarm, "It just sounds nasty."

The rectifier tube (EZ81) is also very robust. I have never heard of one failing while in service, and if it does, we get no sound at all and it stops glowing. For the tube-rollers out there, yes, an EZ80 will work quite nicely as a replacement - but no EZ80s are being manufactured at this time.

The primary tube failure, just about the only failure you will ever experience with your Monique, will be the 6SL7GT on the far right. The Shuguang 6SL7/6N9P is my preferred tube for sonic reasons and for its metal base which keeps noise out. It also isn't crazy expensive. The Shuguang 6SL7/6N9P is a higher gain 6SL7. It is a "GT" version.

I do not recommend the currently manufactured JJ 6SL7 as a replacement. It is not a GT version and therefore is about 6db down in gain. Sounds a bit wimpy. All the others, TungSol, ElectroHarmonix, Sovtek work well. They should, since they all come from the same company. I have not found very expensive 6SL7 versions to sound better or work longer. Others (real Bass Players) can tell you more about alternate tube preferences than I can.

Only the Shuguang has a metal base. A big benefit. This goes a long way to keep noise out of the system. With all the others, I recommend wrapping the plastic tube bases (black or brown or red plastic) with copper or aluminum tape. That tape will then make contact with the tube clamps to ground the noise out.

Have fun y'all.