1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jule Monique not your cup of tea?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazztonebass, Nov 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jazztonebass

jazztonebass

Apr 23, 2012
    By most accounts, the Jule Monique is a stellar pre. Still, they seem to be readily available in the classifieds.

For those who have tried the Monique and parted ways with it...Why did the Jules Monique NOT work for you???

Inquiring minds want to know.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  2. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Crickets:)

I’ll bite though.

Some of us TBers are relentless flippers. :)

3. ARMunro

ARMunro Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Fort McMurray, AB
    Interesting

4. jazztonebass

jazztonebass

Apr 23, 2012
    Yes. Very interesting. Seems like the Holy Grail pre to me and yet, many are available second hand. Not trying to be negative at all. Just can't figure out where the Monique falls short for some. I want one but would like to know what its limitations are.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I've heard from one or two guys over the years who found that it wasn't their tone. Other than that, I do see guys buying and flipping and/or who need money to fund other things, etc. Sometimes people just need to sell stuff to make rent.

If you want a tube preamp amp that breaks up, this is not for you.

If you want a preamp that's super solid state hi-fi modern this isn't for you.

Some people have found that the treble end is subdued, some have not.

Some people want parametric EQ's more than 3 bands, effects loops and other stuff like that. The Monique is an exercise in simplicity and purity of function. There's not a whole lot of bells and extra whistles.

The Monique has a personality and tone that is different from other preamps/amps. Of course that means that not everyone will love that. Of course the personality and tone has been well received by most.

chadds, Groove Doctor and jebmd like this.
  6. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    ^ That, plus the form factor and/or absolute total size and/or weight.

Not everyone who tries it then decides that they want it badly enough to live with either its rackmount or (the more common case, I think) 1930s tabletop radio type chassis.

jnewmark likes this.
  7. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello. His name is Jule, by the way, not "Jules".

jebmd and BurningSkies like this.
  8. jazztonebass

jazztonebass

Apr 23, 2012
    My apologies... Jule.

Snaxster likes this.
  9. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    These kinds of threads should serve as a great example that, sound is subjective.

ddnidd1 likes this.
  10. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Yep. And the fact that this thread is all of about 4 days running and only has 9 replies, few of any from actual owner/sellers speaks pretty loudly as well.

allenhumble and Groove Doctor like this.
  11. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hey!, I own a birdcage. :D

12. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Why did you sell it?

;)

Snaxster likes this.
  13. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Haha! Next you'll ask when I stopped beating my wife. My answer is

"I still own it and I was never married."

14. To address the title of the thread - I prefer Earl Grey! :)

BurningSkies likes this.
  15. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO
    I am a notorious gear flipper....... but the Monique was a bit dark and blurry for me. I prefferred my Streamliner with upgraded tubes.

16. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    The main tone complaint I've heard is that it can sound a little dark. I've had the "complaint" myself but once I heard Mo in a mix, I was floored.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  17. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    I figure the 'blurry' thing comes from not adjusting to the sensitivity control. If you leave the input sensitivity in it's lower-level (pushed) setting and roll the Sensitivity all the way back, it's a really clean solid bell-like tone.

18. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New Brunswick, NJ
    I still have mine, but am thinking about parting ways with it. Does that count?

The sound is fantastic, the low end is addictive when paired with an equally great cab, and the amp has a great feel thanks to the rectifier tube. I can't stress enough how much the Monique deserves any of the modern boutique cabs (especially MAS stuff). My reason is that I want to get something that isn't so clean. I'd like to go back to getting more light amp distortion rather than using my pedals for it. That being said, if JGR weren't building amps, I probably wouldn't be thinking about selling it.

JGR and BurningSkies like this.
  19. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Agreed. It's also bass specific.
    Using a normal output bass w/ alnico pickups (like a J bass) I could run the Sensitivity very high (like all the way up and pulled out) and be pretty happy with the tone.
    With my Dingwall NG-2 (18v, neo pickups) I need to run it much lower, otherwise it's just too much.

BurningSkies likes this.
  20. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    In the studio I run it with the sensitivity in, and rolled way back to about 7 o'clock. Live I tend to run it pulled and somewhere between 9 and noon.

Dave W likes this.