1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jule Monique not your cup of tea?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazztonebass, Nov 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. I bought mine second hand. The seller played both bass and guitar, but had only done guitar gigs the previous 12 months & needed cash (to record his new band IIRC).

The EQ took a while to learn how to use live. Not having OD took longer to adjust to.

The highs can appear subdued, but IMO its the fullness of the mids/lows that gives some people that impression. Certain bass cabs are better suited than others. Record DIRECT thru Monique and it's all there!

The clarity is not always appreciated. Hearing each note better than all my other amps revealed inconsistencies in my (very good) technique. Old strings sound dull through it, new strings sizzled until broken in.

My Monique 700 + Bergantino CN212 is the best rig I've played my Rob Allen Fretless Mouse through AND my DB through. Who would've thought?

A micro head is SOOO much easier to carry to gigs, but I want the best tone every gig and am prepared to carry the extra bulk for that tone (most of the time anyway). Always wished I'd brought the Monique though any time I've left it at home.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  2. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    I gigged Monique for a while. It was too dark for my taste. And kind of a one-trick pony. I know there are some who swear by the girl. She wasn't for me.

...recalling now that I had the Demeter power supply added to make it become a "Tardis" (sp?). Nicely built, solid gear. Jule always responded to questions. Best to hear it or better yet, play it for a while to see if it's for you. A lot of players love these!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  3. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    I liked my rack Mo but it ended up not fitting into what I needed from my setup. I was moving on to trying micros at the time. A nice pre like that could have been a great sound to have for recording but I just don't record all that much and live it wasn't very practical for me. I decided my DIs were good enough for the recording I do and ended up selling it to free up funds.

4. I’m enjoying a nice big cup o’ Earl Grey right at this moment. :D

5. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Earl Grey tasts like perfume flavored tea to me.....Ugh

JBNeedsBeer likes this.
  6. How very un Canadian of you! :D

Remember the ad; “And I like it too”? or was that Irish Spring? LOL

Loverly day we had yesterday eh? :)

7. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I must have still been living in England then...My Mum only drinks Earl Grey

Yes a smashing day it woz

8. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Captain Picard likes the Earl Grey.

9. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    It is? :)

10. jazztonebass

jazztonebass

Apr 23, 2012
    Yes... sound is VERY subjective. Still, it is useful for those who cannot try before we buy to listen to as many subjective experiences as possible. There are a million variables as well.

11. So do our Argo fans. After all we did just win the Grey Cup! Aaarrrrrggggggooooooossssssss! :D

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Yeah, not into the Earl Grey tea. A good solid English Breakfast or Irish Breakfast or better yet get me a nice hot Genmaicha.

dukeorock likes this.
  13. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    I’d love to try a Monique one day, but my Reiner 6SL7 pre has kept me happy since I bought it new...maybe 3 years ago now? How critical all this stuff is in a band mix is more than a little subjective too. Heck, I have a pedalboard rig for making doubling gigs easier and there’s an Aggie TH DI as well as a Grace Felix for upright. Honestly, it sounds really good to me, but for recording and electric only gigs, I appreciate the extra ‘something’ the Reiner gives me. Depends on how fussy you are, I guess :)

JGR likes this.
  14. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I was kidding.:)
    ...and I did go on the descriptions of the Monique to find that if it met those goals it could be what I wanted. I did want hifi Sunn/McIntosh/Hiwatt purity with phat. It does it. It can also get grindy. Talking to Jule directly helped immensely.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  15. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    For me it was simply logistics - it was another bag to carry on a gig. The tone is stellar and Jule is a great guy. But as I get older, I find ways to carry as few things to a gig as possible.

I would have kept it for the studio, but I have a Mike-E rack mount preamp in my home studio that I typically track with and I don't end up doing much stuff in other studios.

Jerry Ziarko likes this.
  16. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Partly, but I also needed the cash to pay an unexpected home expense. The Tardis 700 I had was probably the best pure sounding bass amp I ever played through. Before that it was a Sadowsky SA200. The Tardis did everything the Sadowsky did, only cleaner and much, much louder.

Groove Doctor and BurningSkies like this.
  17. Bassheart365

Bassheart365 Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California
    "A good bassist determines the direction of any band." - Ron Carter
    I owned the Monique and gigged with it for about 6 months before selling it. Frankly, I'm not sure I ever figured out how to dial it in. The main issue was the latency. I guess that's inherent with tubes. If I was playing in a dub or reggae band I'd still have it. No question. But I need a fast responding and punchy amp for the music I'm playing now ( mostly funk). The other thing was the weight and having to mess with a separate power amp. I've gotten very spoiled with my Genzler Magellan 800. I did miss the tube goodness after selling the Monique though. So I recently bought a Khan VTDI here on TB. I put a Telefunken tube in it and I absolutely love the extra warmth and roundness it adds to my Magellan, which is class D. It's the best of both worlds for me. And I don't have any latency that I can detect with the Khan. Plus it only weighs 4 lbs and fits on my pedal board. So between the Khan and the Magellan 800 I'm at about 10 lbs. Life is good!

18. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    Latency? Really?

19. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    That's interesting. I've never heard the Monique as slow, and compared to my Kern, it's actually faster and punchier. The note envelope is just quicker on the front end. I will say that I noticed a difference with my recent move the the M2500, where it's even tighter than the IPR I had been using. I certainly don't think it's any 'slower' than other solid state amps I've used before and since.

20. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Nothing slow about it.
    Speed of attack is a requirement of mine.
    Wait! I figured it out.
    You found yourself enjoying listening to all that lusciousness coating each note so you started playing slower. :)

BurningSkies and spiritbass like this.