Julia plays Carol Kaye.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

I really enjoyed this video. I think Julia might have been using rounds because her tone is too bright in places, but I think she does a great job of getting Carol Kaye’s feel. She also does a good job of explaining how her harmonic knowledge made her such a great bassist.

2. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Looks and sounds like new TI Flats to me. They start out on the bright side mellow with age and play. She is also muting with her hand instead of Carols method. I’m sure at time it isn’t getting the same result.

ErikP.Bass and Dr. Cheese like this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks, I have never used TI Flats.

lowdownthump likes this.
  4. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Those are not TI flats(edit: looks like Rotosounds with the ball ends), I love them on certain basses. They are a life saver for my fingers(nerve damage sucks), the TI rounds are pretty good too.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    Dr. Cheese likes this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Carol Kaye would never stand for downstrokes only and holding your hand like her, but it sounded good. They're flats BTW.

6. dangevans

dangevans

Mar 26, 2014
    Nice tone and demonstration! Was hoping to see her do "Games People Play" by Mel Torme... Whenever I want to kick my own butt on bass, I pull out the music for that tune. :)

ErikP.Bass likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021