1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Julian Assange latest...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tituscrow, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Any lawyers in the house?

As I see it, he's been in the UK under threat of extradition to Sweden on a rape charge.

He then took refuge in the Ecuadorean embassy seeking diplomatic asylum.

Ecuador grants said asylum, but the UK insists it will honour binding agreement to extradite to Sweden.

Ecuador accuses UK of trying to influence their right to consider Asssange's appeal and makes complaint at League of American Nations (or some such other body?)

UK threaten to storm Ecuador embassy, having previously said it will arrest him as soon as he leaves the building.

My question....how will this pan out? Will the Ecuadoreans land a chopper on the roof? Will we get an Embassy siege? It's got all the makings of a Hollywood blockbuster a few years down the line.

*NOTE : This thread is nothing to do with Wikileaks or Assanges alleged crimes - I am NOT looking for any discussion to descend into political mud-slinging. I am genuinely curious to see how the end game plays out, regardless of the context and background.

Not quite the Cuban Missile Crisis, but an interesting Mexican stand-off nevertheless.

2. yeah, have to admit i'm pretty curious about that myself. popping some corn and settling back...should be real interesting.

i vote for the chopper...:D

davesignatureII-1.

3. I think this is the plot of Call of Duty: Black Ops II

4. Well, if he's wanted in Swden for rape charges, I think it's pretty much an admission of guilt when he goes to a third country's embassy for asylum.

5. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Can the Ecuadoreans get an operation even remotely close enough to deploy a chopper without setting off a bigger international incident?

6. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Not to mention they'd have to get clearance to fly the Chopper in British Airspace, which I am assuming would be difficult, to say the least, given the circumstances.

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    They'd struggle to get clearance to fly the chopper that low through Knightsbridge anyway - of course - that assumes that the chopper could land on the roof of the Ecuadorian embassy, but I doubt it can - those houses don't have flat roofs. They'd then have to land the chopper at somewhere like Heathrow or Stanstead for the flight out, again an issue since that's British territory. Basically unless they litterally smuggle him out in make-up or a box or something, they are going to struggle to get him out of the UK without him being arrested on UK terrirtory.

8. Etienned

Etienned

Jul 16, 2010
    Montréal
    Put him in a diplomatic bag ?

9. The thing I'm not a fan of is the media spin.

People claiming it's the government of Ecuador standing up for free speech, an interesting concept when they've been putting newspaper editors in prison for bad mouthing the president...

We have the legal power to go into any foreign embassy on our soil if there is a need for it (which is the gray area, as far as I'm aware, it's a law which hasn't been used). A law, for those interested, brought in after a police officer in the street was shot and killed by someone inside an embassy and there was nothing which could be done.

At the same time, it does seem a tad heavy handed in places. But regardless, there is an international agreement between the UK and Sweden for the charges. The point raised by some about 'potential' death penalty in the US is moot in my books. Couldn't see any EU country agreeing to an extradition where that was a potential outcome in this case.

It is interesting to see how it pans out. Can he get in a vehicle within the embassy grounds? Will the vehicle have complete diplomatic immunity? If he gets a helicopter to an airport, can't he be detained when it lands before he gets on a jet? It is interesting!

10. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Just to be clear, the Ecuadorian embassy doesn't have "grounds", its an appartment in a mansion building in Knightsbridge. The "gate" is the front door.

11. I wasn't sure how large it was, hence the question of it being possible for him to actually get into a vehicle on Ecuadorian land.

12. diplomaticbag.

davesignatureII-1.

13. If America would just invade the UK already....

:bag:

14. time for the SAS to jack boot the door open, drag him out, and slap around the Ecuadorans for being weiners.

15. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Actually, prosecutors just want to question him.

Not even close.

On topic, it seems they're each at dead ends. It's interesting.

16. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I'm surprised nobody has offed this guy yet.

17. Not had an embassy siege in a while!

18. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    I think storming the embassy would set a bad example. It could create security issues at UK and possibly American Embassies around the world. Who is old enough to remember Iran Hostage crisis?

A few scenarios that came to mind. US invokes Monroe Doctrine, tells Britain to keep hands off Ecuadoran Embassy. Not likely since US would like to see Assange extradited. Or US invokes Roosevelt Corollary and sends Navy Seals into Embassy, takes Assange to US to face charges related to wikileaks.
    More likely the Brits will wait it out. They will not allow him to leave the embassy. He will essentially be under house arrest there until he decides to give himself up. They could harass the embassy with loud noise/music like we did Noriega or possibly blockade it.

19. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Or maybe they won't. They could let him go and let someone else deal with him.

20. oh, i bet the neighbors would LOVE that. if you're looking for a way to win friends and influence people, i don't think that's such a good idea.

davesignatureII-1.