1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Julian Assange

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PortlandBass77, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. CarrotLeaks?

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. A UN advisory panel has ruled Britain and Sweden have arbitrarily detained Julian Assange, he could finally be a free man very soon! News from The Associated Press

now if only we could get an update on Edward Snowden.....

2. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Any wagers on how long this thread lasts?

3. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    counting30ll6.

LiquidMidnight likes this.
  4. Why would the thread be shut down? You think people will start insulting each other over wikileaks or something?

5. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Apparently the judgement won't have any practical effect on his situation.

s0c9 likes this.
  6. Plod: ''He's not detained, he can leave at any time. Then we will arrest him and follow due processes''.

Catbuster and One Drop like this.
  7. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    One thing I've noticed about the WikiLeaks and other related stories is the contradiction of some of my coworkers. They support no gun laws because they believe that the government can't be trusted and they'll need them. But at the same time, they believe whistle blowers like Assange are revealing too much and that the government needs to be trusted to keep you safe and secure. These views seem in opposition, but I notice many people (and pundits ) seem to believe each as strongly as the other. Which is mystifying to me.*

*disclaimer. ..
    This post not intended to start debate on guns or gun control.

Catbuster likes this.
  8. Nobody

Nobody Banned

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    People are wildly inconsistent...... well... except for anarchists.

blue4 likes this.
  9. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I'm conflicted; whistleblowers are important and necessary but it's hard to condone because of corollary damage and the danger they can put people and institutions in.

SteveCS likes this.
  10. proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FdhgcH.

OldDog52 and Nobody like this.
  11. First, regarding the UN declaration. If the UK and Sweden decide that the UN declaration does not apply to them, then it does not. Simple, if disturbing, fact of international law. In actuality, International Law is more like Mafia Law.

Second, as another person pointed out, Asange is not under detention by either the UK or Sweden. He is in the Embassy of his own freewill & choice. Now, what his circumstances are in the Embassy I can't say. He might be under some form of detention. But that would not involve the UK or Sweden.

Oh well.

edg

SteveCS likes this.
  12. The keywords there are it is a "UN advisory" panel. Their recommendations are not binding in any way and they have zero jurisdiction anywhere in the world. In other words, it makes very little difference if any.

13. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    They are wrong. J.A. dodged extradition by hiding at the embassy. He is free to leave at any time. Nobody is forcing him to be there or preventing him from leaving. Might it be conceivable that there are reasons known only to him that make the prospect of walking out a little daunting?

14. I was surprised to hear plod endorse the legalese. He could have just said that they are intent on arresting him for extradition to Sweden and left it at that.