1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale/Trade July 1970 Rickenbacker 4001 trade for your 60's or early 70's Fender Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by weekend warrior, Aug 10, 2018.

1. weekend warrior

weekend warrior Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Grayling,MI.
    Price:
    Strings:
    Ok... Im really on the fence about this but...Here goes. Im looking to trade my July(JG) 1970 Rickenbacker 4001 for a 60's or very early 70's Fender Jazz Bass. First let me say this. The Rick KILLS! Its probably the most even and loud 4001 ive ever had in my hands. The neck is very thin and flat. Very 60's. The headstock is still a bigger 60's style with Walnut wings.. All original harness and pots. Has the tone cap mod.Original Flat eared boxed Back Grovers,Gap tooth sand cast bridge, original lucite thumb rest. Again, This Bass is a smoking player and a tone monster! Ok, now the issues... It has been stripped to natural. It was originally a Jetglo Bass and the original color is still in all the cavitys. It was pro done so nothing was changed or damaged. All the original checker binding is perfect, The bridge pickup has a 4003 surround and the pickup has the original aluminum base plate but I believe it has a mid 70's high gain pup.There are no other issue with this Rick and is otherwise all original. I have a late 60's Fender case that it came in when I got it. The neck is laser straight perfect! and truss rod ends are perfect and straight. I believe the frets are original. possible changed frets in the cowboy chord area..Im not really sure jurys still out anyway, You will not find a nicer early 4001 like this . Let me know what you might have to trade out there. Thanks Bass brothers

Attached Files:

ghettoshelf likes this.
  2. weekend warrior

Jul 2, 2009
    Grayling,MI.
    I have added cash sale on this Im asking 5,000.00

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    What kind of refinish was done to the bass? Poly or Nitro?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018 at 9:00 AM
  4. weekend warrior

Jul 2, 2009
    Grayling,MI.
    Not sure Jeff. It's satin so I would say probably polly? It's a lite finish

5. weekend warrior

Jul 2, 2009
    Grayling,MI.
    Not sure Jeff. It's satin so I would say probably polly? It's a lite finish