1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jumped into the deep end - help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ninjarock, May 29, 2012.

1. Ninjarock

Ninjarock

Mar 11, 2012
    Hey guys, need some help. I'm honestly not that into gear - I just want to play. But it needs to sound and feel right. Ish.

I only started playing bass four months ago (used to play guitar way, way back) and jumped straight into the deep end. :ninja: In fact I had never played bass when I joined the band I'm now in. Thus far I have laid down bass on an upcoming single as well as on the opening credits of the Norwegian version of Pimp My Ride. And we're gigging. All on a ESP LTD F-105 that I borrowed from my brother, but he might need it back, so I need to get a new one.

I feel utterly clueless. I don't know what I'm looking for. It needs to be a passive 5-string (well, I just like the no hassle part of passive - you may persuade me to change my mind). I tune two steps down. I think the F-105 looks really geeky so I want something cooler (sure, yeah, define "cool"). I love the look of a Warwick Corvette $$ (love, love the Nirvana Black Oil finish!). Playing drop tuning I guess I can't get away from full scale necks, but being female I have smaller hands, so maybe you can help me out by telling me about string spacing - how much does it vary and does it make a big difference when it comes to playing?

At the moment I just DI live. I like the current sound, it's kind of brutal. Here's a live clip (camera mic):

ANY suggestions for basses to look at would be very welcome.

2. You want a 5 string that you can tune down 2 steps?

3. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I hope you mean 2 half steps.....I recommend at least a 35 inch scale bass with heavy gauge strings (130 B). String spacing varies from about 17-19mm at the bridge depending on brand, but the neck profile and nut width may prove more important to you.

4. Ninjarock

Ninjarock

Mar 11, 2012
    Yeah, 2 half steps. I don't know what stuff is called - sorry! Haha!

Thanks lomo - very helpful advice. :)