Jumping Around On Stage...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by chilipepperflea, May 6, 2005.

1. chilipepperflea

chilipepperflea Guest

Apr 13, 2005
    East Anglia
    I dont know about you lot but im personally into funk, punk and rock, and when i get hear a serious groove, or play i cant help but move about.

my question is on stage if you moving about, jumping etc is their any particular things you guys/girls do to keep playing good, any way you position ur hand?

or is it just a case of knowing the songs really really really well, and practise playing them jumping? unfortunatly i havent really got the space but if theres a will theres a way.

just wondered how you keep the playing up and the performance as well, Cheers

2. ireidt

Mar 6, 2005
    here is what I do. I practice at home all the time, but I hardly move around becuase of space. When I goto a show, I move around a bit, but when I get into it, and wanta joke around on stage, I jump around and make faces and see what the audiance does. How do I do it? You just do.

If you mess up on stage, make it seem like it is a part of the song. The only people who are going to notice the msitake are the band members and your BIGGEST fan. No one else will know unless you shout out "crap" or shake your head when you play the wrong note.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Just keep your thumb anchored solidly to your bass and HANG ON! It's not TOO bad if your bass is always in the same place in relation to your hands.
  4. if you jump really hard, slide your bass to the side of your waist, and hold it down with your right wrist. then it wont move away from you. the point is to keep the bass from bouncing, because then the strap has a good chance of coming off and your bass falling. then everyone will know you messed up when your bass hits the ground and its neck snaps ;)
  5. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Yeah, I'd say just go with the flow with man. I'm not really a big fan of practicing all of the moves you plan on doing on stage at home, it sorta takes away from teh spontaneiousity and excitement of the show. I would however suggest not jumping with your bass in front of you. As someone said, move it to ure waist so it wont bounce around as much. Also, wearing your bass higher if possible seems to help cuz it wont flop around as much and its more anchored to your body in a way.
    Most importantly have fun with it. Everyone enjoys a band with good stage presence and there is a definite lack of it out there now.
  6. rawgreenbean

Dec 27, 2003
    strap locks are definitely a good investment if you jump around a lot. But make sure the screws stay screwed in- I've been having some problems with that. Duct tape also works, and in some scenes may be preferred.
  7. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Strap locks, and set the screws with industrial epoxy.
  8. small, heavy be

small, heavy be

Apr 25, 2005
    i was onstage with my old band and i started jumping around and my strap fell off and the bass fell to the stage floor. the rest of the band was going off well enough that i don't believe the audience particularly minded or cared, so my embarrassment quickly subsided.
  9. +1 on strap locks. Shell out a few bucks for them, even if you don't jump a lot (I don't). Its WAY better to spend a few dollars on them than to destroy your bass when the strap slips off, and it will eventually as it gets older and looser.

I bought a strap with built-in locks on it once, but it was designed wrong for the bass I bought it for (my acoustic; one of the strap buttons are "backwards" from normal). So, before a show, I offered it to my guitar player who doesn't use locks and his guitar is always falling off the strap. I told him one day that thing is gonna fall off and break. He refused it, since he liked using this strap that his girlfriend bought for his birthday (awww..). So, we get on stage, he puts his guitar on and reaches for the microphone to get started and his strap slips off! We look each other in the eyes silently, no words were needed, then he reaches for the locking strap that I offered him earlier :)

Also, about jumping around, make sure you have your groove down FIRST, and then worry about your stage show. You're a musician, not a dancer, right? There's nothing wrong with moving around and being active on stage, but it kills me to see a group of guys doing some big synchronized jumping routine when they don't have a solid sound.
  10. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    One thing that is paramount, is that when you play jumping around or not always always have your cable running between the strap and the bass so that if you step on it it wont come out of the socket. just thought it was worth mentioning.
  11. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    Go wireless if you can. Get a STURDY strap and straplocks and cinch your cord under the strap like they've already suggested if you can't go wireless. Practice your movement every time you play--at home, at band practice--and keep within yourself when you play so you don't make too many mistakes. If I get what you're doing, you want to give the illusion that you're losing yourself in the music. Remember, it's only an illusion so don't get too caught up in it. Besides that, have fun wid it!

12. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    do this at church all the time if it's appropriate, get some strap locks, make sure you know the part, and don't worry about knowing what you doing. just don't be like the people in some bands and show no emotion, I hate it when I'm the only one onstage doing something crazy, every one else is to worried about looking "cool", well I say don't worry about it, do what you feel. :bassist:

Geez we need a smileys that plays bass and jumps. :D
  13. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    don't worry about jumping around on stage put all ou energy into the music not your movements but of course most people consider me a stiff because i never move just do it within reason
  14. ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    No strap locks. They evenyually wear away. Just big washers under the strap pins does the trick. Of course it makes the strap non-removable without a screwdriver but if you google I'm sure there's instructions for the phillips head :joking: . Seriously after wearing out strap locks I ended up just using washers. How often do you remove the strap anyhow. Me almost never.
  15. holy crap, thats an awesome idea. im gonna do that. you have any other little tricks like that?
  16. That is a very good idea, but I like to take my strap off before I put my bass back in its case. I will remember that for the future though; maybe if I start carrying one in a gig bag.
  17. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I freaking love this guy. He oughta lose some weigh or quit that jumpin though or he ain't gonna last too long. If anyone just watched only part of the above link, watch the whole thing. :D

My thoughts and suggestions fer jumpin and stuff - in no particular order:

1. get (or stay) in shape
    2. exercize with your bass
    3. practice doing stupid things with your bass along with jumping with it
    4. dance with your bass
    5. push yourself just a bit more at each gig, or go all out and make a fool of yourself till it comes naturally
    6. if you don't want to make a fool out of yourself then let it come naturally and let the music get you going instead of you getting the music going
    7. decide which is more important to you, tight music, or a good show. if the latter then don't be overly concerned with messing up - ever see flea play live up close? ever see the chili peppers live up close? sounding like crap live never hurt them none.
    8. know the music inside out so you don't have to be concerned with what your hands are doing
    9. drink coffee
    10. let go of the notion that you might look stupid
    11. watch flea's instructional video for inspiration
    12. take dance classes
    13. take yoga
    14. stretch before a show (I try to always do that)
    15. play in your underwear just to loosen up a bit

I could prolly think of more but I'm starting to bore myself.
  18. bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    I move/jump constantly. I have an AKG wireless system, and I'm all over the place. A couple of real pieces of advice:

1. Get straplocks! There's nothing like losing your axe while your flailing around on stage and busting your headstock. Ugh! :crying:

2. Go wireless, there's nothing more embarassing than tripping or pulling something over when you're running around. That obscene popping sound when your wire pops out isn't that satisfying either. :eek:

3. Dont' worry about looking silly. Look at how silly Steve Tyler, Robert Plant, and Mick Jagger look, and they're laughing all the way to the bank. :D

4. Be careful not to hurt somebody. A headstock into the face is no fun for a fan. You can apologize to a bandmate, but fans won't tend to come back if you put an eye out. :bawl:

Most of all, have fun! I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't look silly on stage.