Jumping from fretted 4-string to fretless 6?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nickn, Dec 29, 2007.

1. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've only been playing bass for 3 months but already I'm getting some GAS. :rollno: As of right now my only bass is a 4-string Ibanez GSR200. It's a good bass, but at this point I want something that will offer more of a challenge. I want something different. For awhile I wanted to learn how to play fretless, and now I'm in a 5-string phase. I'm still intrigued by fretless basses, and every time I go to GC to pick up something small I end up sitting there noodling around on the fretless basses and on the 5-stringers.

But a recent trip to rondomusic.com has shown an astounding revelation: I can get a fretless 6-stringer for $180!?!? :eek: So that's what I was thinking of doing... it's got the best of both worlds so to speak; it's fretless and got 6 strings! What's not to like? And it's so cheap, I'm not out THAT much money if I end up hating it. I mean, $180 is still a lot of money when you're a 17-year-old like me working for minimum wage, but it's still cheaper than any other non-SX bass that I would ever consider.

http://www.rondomusic.com/product746.html

That's the one that I was considering. Do you guys think it would be a bad idea for me to jump straight from a fretted 4-string to a fretless 6er? Why or why not? Thanks for your input :D

2. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    Fuuuck I've never seen an instrument that cheap with that quality
    Tell me if the bass is as good as it looks.

3. The Metal Guy

The Metal Guy

Nov 5, 2005
    AlphaMale is telling you to get it. I agree with him.

4. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    click...

a guy in the same situation...

5. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    Now that II have caught my breath. Dude Get it and if you don't like it, it was only 180 dollars.

6. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    it sounds a bit weird to me... after 3 months a 4 string bass isn't challenging anymore? also I wonder if this bass is any good....

7. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I don't think it'll hurt to get it if you can afford to spend the money. It looks similar to the Galveston 7-string bass I got a while back on a whim (for a similar price, too...I think these are all made in the same factories over in South Korea). Basically, that bass helped me figure out that I don't think I want to go over 5 strings in the future. :)

8. nickbear

nickbear

Jun 12, 2007
    surrey, uk
    im with bass fish, i have played bass for 8 years and i still find new challenges all the time on my fretted 4 string.. i would stick with the 4 string for a while,,, you can always get the rondo bass later on..

9. rduckwor

rduckwor Nashville Cat

Jun 14, 2007
    L.A. - Lower Alabama
    If its challenge you seek, you will likely find it with a sixer fretless. First, the Rondo axe will likely require some significant setup and work to make it comfortably playable. That's something you can learn to do right there. 2nd. The change from your four banger neck to the aircraft carrier deck of a six banger neck will require some (ahem) adjustment. 3rd, it takes some significant practice to adjust to hitting the intonation on an unlined fretless board. Not impossible or even hard for some people; impossible for others. You just have to try it and see which crowd you happen to fit. 4th. fretless basses just sound different, you may or may not like the sound you get from the fretless board and/or it may not fit the genre of music you like best.

That being said, for that price, give it a try. I had a inexpensive Brice fretless sixer that I liked quite a lot but simply couldn't get comfortable playing. It gave me hard cramps and I have huge hands.

Don't give up on your four banger quite yet though. At this point in your playing career, there are many things that you haven't tried/mastered. Remember that playing an instrument is a journey of learning and improving. The trip is what this is all about; the things you will see and do along the way.

Good Luck,

10. I haven't touched a fretless in my 6 years of playing. Mainly due to me not being confident enough to find the exact intonation and stuff. maybe a fretless 6 is a step too far at this stage in your playing but i guess you will know better than anyone else :)

11. I went from 4 string fretted to 6 string fretless. I should've saved that money and put it towards a new 4 string. :/

12. As I said in the other dude's thread, I wouldn't go from fretted for to fretless 6 if you're not very patient and can be humbled. If you're not ready to be put in your place, get either a fretted 6 or fretless 4. Making the jump from fretless 5 to fretless 6 wasn't much, but I'm inclined to think trying to learn 6 string and fretless together for the first time would be very frustrating and would require a lot of dedication.

13. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    +1

14. MosGuy

MosGuy Keep it low and thumping..

Dec 26, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Only you can decide if it's too much of a leap. I've been playing bass for nearly 18 years now. And only recently felt like the challenge of going fretless. In my case I'm sticking to four strings, so the leap isn't as big. I still know the fretless will be a humbling experience & show up any bad habits. At three months I barely learned what a 4-string was capable of. Even today I've hardly scratched the surface of its full potential.

If you're already bored with a 4-string then going to a 6 string + fretless will certainly be a double challenge IMO. As already mentioned, it will require a lot of hard work & dedication. Also it depends on the style of music you're into too. Since fretless is suited better to some over others. It's not all that great for slap & pop either. I know of many people who love the idea of a fretless or the sound. But the reality of what it takes to play one really well hit them eventually. They ended up going back to fretted. If you're prepared to work & put in the time, a fretless can open up a new level of musical expression.

At that price, it's cheap enough to be worth the risk. If you find it's not what you expected. I'm sure you could put it on up E-bay and recoup the money, or most of it.

Good luck with your decision.

15. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    I think the notion of "looking for more of a challenge" is just kind of goofy at 3 months. I've got a fretless 6, but my most recent new bass is a fretted 4. Everything has its place, but it seems like there ought to be some musical goal that motivates getting the bass.

OTOH, at 179 bucks, a guy should do whatever he wants. I would assume it is a POS, but hell, you can spend more on a bottle of wine than that.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021