1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jumping on good deals

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chico16, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    My dream rig would consist of a GK NEO 412 cabinet, but they're $1000 new (ouch!) I regularly check Craigslist in the bigger cities around me hoping I'll find one used + good conditions. While scoping through Craigslist, I found an Ampeg svt610hlf for $300. It's a little beat up on one of the sides, but $300 isn't bad for the power it can deliver (assuming none of the speakers are blown) if you were in my shoes, would you hold out and wait for the opportunity to get a NEO 412, or would you jump on this deal for the 610 (which would most likely keep you from needing a bigger cab anytime soon) I currently use a Behringer 410 and I'd love to upgrade. Thanks!

2. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    A friend of mine got himself a NEO 412 for what I think was 500 bucks on here. Hell I just sold a NEO 212 for a little more than half of that.

Patience is a virtue! Wait and get what you really want instead of settling on something now and regretting it later.

3. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    Damn it!! This is exactly what the little voice in the back of my head was telling me but I wanted to ignore it and just jump on this purchase. You're right though, I mean I know ampeg sounds sweet, but the only cab that has actually amazed me was the neo. I'll be patient. Thank you for stopping me. Lol

4. Amazon at Christmas time was blowing out new G-K NEO412 cabs for $650. Keep your eyes open :)

5. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    What the hell seriously?! Damn it I guess I'll start checking out amazon instead of belittling them when it comes to music stuff lol thanks for the tip there

6. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Sep 9, 2008
    Plus, that 610 hlf is a backbreaking beast that will result in near-death experiences on stairs. Wait for the GK. Also, when MF/Music 123 have their 15-20% off sales, they will give the discount off the GK even if they say it's an excluded brand. You have to call and tell them to give you the discount, it won't work online. If you can spend that much, then you'll get a new one under warranty, etc. Also, as someone above said, keep checking Amazon.

7. Yeah the cow is out of the barn and is steaks and hamburgers now but these sales show up from time to time. ;)

8. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    Isn't the 610 and 412 about the same weight wise? I think they're both 100lbs and the 610 has handles on the sides, which should be easier for stairs... I think. Lol thanks for the link!! I'm gonna think it over, I'm ready to spend $300 but I'm not sure I'm ready to spend $650 for that used GK. Thanks for the help!!!

9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Call me crazy but I'd get the 610hlf.

:D

11. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    crazy but.

you said....

12. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    He gets paid for each comment he makes promoting Ampeg.... :D jk

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not used ;)

14. The G-K NEO412 is well under 100 lbs (90 lbs IIRC), towel bar with tilt back wheels and rear lower skid plate. The newer ones are even easier to load in/out than my first gen at 118 lbs. The 12" speakers are in a staggered alignment for better dispersion and reduced comb filter effects.

15. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    Alright so the guy with the Ampeg never responded to my emails, and after loads of contemplation I finally ordered the 412!! I literally stared at the "finalize your order" screen for a while thinking "should I do this...." But I sucked it up and bam I'm positive I won't be needing another cabinet anytime soon! I just hope there isn't something wrong with the cabinet and that's why it's being sold at almost half it's original price. The description lacks details. But if luck is on my side, I'll finally have my favorite cabinet :D next step one of the RB series amp heads!

16. CONGRATS! I know I'll won't be needing another big cab, that sucker rocks! My own favorite goto when I can fit it in the venue. :)

17. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    BIG thanks to ya, you lead me to it! Also you've helped out before when I was looking for a better quality 4x10 months ago so thanks for your input! Unfortunately this will be my only cab, so regardless of how big the venue is I'm gonna be dragging this monster around, but hell I'm sure the tone will make up for the hassle of fitting it on stage!

18. Oh it is definitely WORTH it!

19. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    No picture :(