Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jumping outta perfectly good aeroplanes..

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tsal, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    ..is what they tell you, totally crazy stuff.

I don't think I've ever been as frightened and excited at the same time than at my first jump, and it was only from 3000ft!

Kudos to the other TB'ers who do it! Oh, and you guys who do it as WORK, have I told you how much you suck? :p

2. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Wait till you can do a HALO jump. Heh heh heh:cool:

I got to do a couple of things in the service that just pee all over what I gat to do as a civilan. HALO jumps are among the coolest things in existence, although the first one is the scariest moment of anyones entire life.:ninja:

:smug:

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    just had to tell you that that title cracked me up.

my guitarist did it a few years back, felt the need to "face that fear".

that is a fear that i have absolutely no desire to tackle. not a gazillionth of an ounce of desire. i will jump out of an airplane only if the plane isn't good anymore.

4. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    ONLY?????

Love the title, I've heard that phrase before, where did it come from?

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    My father, who happens to also be my bestest buddy and greatest guy in the universe, is a retired Air Force (C-130) and Delta Airlines (767ER) pilot (Captain, to be precise). He always said almost exactly this!

"Only a fool or an idiot will willingly jump out of a perfectly good airplane."

;)

When he was in the AF, he used to fly parachute drops for the Army, and he's told me several very frightening stories, enough that I'd never voluntarily do this.

My favorite was the guy who did a low drop (600 ft.), his chute didn't open, he hit, bounced 3 times, stood up, dusted himself off (my father is watching this happen two ships ahead of himself), walked to an observer's jeep, drove back to the flight line, got another parachute, got in another airplane and jumped again.

Can you say "TOTALLY #$%^@%$^ INSANE!"?

:eek:

I knew you could...

6. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

:eek: Maybe he got severe brain damage after the first jump!:D

7. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I was Navy. They wouldn't have let one of us try again immediately after. You have to get checked out. But I can't picture really wanting to jump again immediately after surviving a failed jump.:confused:

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Bard, that would have been sensible, but IIRC, this was a Special Forces cat, and he wasn't a grunt, he had scrambled eggs on his collar. Don't think anyone was gonna tell him what he could or couldn't do...

I can't picture wanting to either, nor could my father - his comment was "I think life was trying to give that guy a message, and he was refusing delivery!", but hey, I don't gotta funny green hat on either! ;)