Jumping speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Captain Awesome, Sep 10, 2001.

1. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    When I turn my amp up to a level than can keep up with my band's drummer (who uses two 18" crashes) , the speaker jumps around a lot.
    Is jumping speakers normal when there is a lot of low end peaks going through them, or is it an indication of excessive power or amp clipping?
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Uh-uh. As long as you're not getting serious distortion or your amp head doesn't indicate clipping, you're fine.

The $2 word in the trade for "jumping" is "excursion" as in "speaker excursion", the amount of "travel" designed into the speaker.

One of the reason cheap speakers are cheap is because excursion eventually does a number on the voice coil, or the rigidity built into the cone loosens over time and you need a reconing job.....or new speakers that can take the volume you are dishing out.
  3. If the speaker is making waving-like movements, clearly visible, yea your amp is clipping. If the cone looks like a fast blur, nothing's wrong.
  4. I've placed a rubber mat under my cab, which not only prevents the floor from shaking when i strike the B-string, but also prevents jumping

rubber doormat : $ 20,-
    result : priceless