1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jumping to a 6.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Defiled, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Defiled

Defiled

Apr 3, 2008
    Sorry, i know this topic has been done to death a thousand times before, i have searched around a little before people tell me to do so ;). Meh atleast its different to the same 'club' threads right? :bag:

So, recently i have been very tempted to buy a 6 string, mainly for the higher strings, the 'B' isn't so tempting as i've never really felt the need for it (in the music i play) although of course it would be nice. This means that yes, i would be jumping from a 4 to a 6 (although i would hardly abandon my Rick :))

Anyway, i just had a couple of questions for those who use a 6 (bass nooby questions coming up).

Just because the standard tuning for a 6 is B-E-A-D-G-C (right?) does that mean i have to follow this? Could i just simply tune E-A-D-G-C-F? As i really dont feel that need for the B.

Finally, as most people are, i am on a budget :) And was just wondering if anyone could reccomend me a cheap(ish) but still decent 6 string.

I can see a Peavey Grind 6 string thats nice and cheap, also there are some 6 string ESP's that are nice and cheap.

Anyone have any experience with those? Thanks guys.

2. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Hrmmm. I've been playing a 6 for... what, 3 years now?

I find the C reaching roughly the limit of what is usable for me. I find i play LOWER on my BEADGC 6er than my BEADG 5ver, and i really don't see myself needed an F string.

That being said, do try out a EADGC 5ver. It could be just what you want... Try before you buy, of course.

3. Hi.

You can string it any way you like, requires a setup, but that they require anyway ;).

I don't have any experience with the basses You mentioned, but I have with this:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbb600tbk_6string_ebass.htm

Doesn't really come too much cheaper than that :D.

Does require a screw change for the bridge and better strings, but even without the fret levelling I did, it was playable out of the box.

A good choice IME.

Regards
    Sam

4. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    As T-bird said, you can string it however you'd like. The only thing you might have to do is make some nut adjustments if you find the slots too big/small for the new string set. A lot of guys will also tune the 6's like a guitar EADGBE ....

I don't know where you are located, but there are some decent inexpensive 6 string basses available through www.rondomusic.com in both the Brice and Douglas lines. Your previously mentioned Peavey Grind isn't a bad choice, and there are quite a few Ibanez 6's (the SR406's are a good 1st choice) that also are pretty cheap on the used market. Also look for Hohner & Dean Edge 6's, both decent used bass choices .... :cool: