1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

junction box for a splitter

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Sitting here looking at parts for a while, because I want to build a better splitter.
    Right now I'm just using a cheap Hosa Y-Splitter. (TS male to two TS female)

F0454993-01.

This is the kind of box I was considering getting & putting three 1/4" jacks in it, but maybe I'd be better off just buying something already assembled.
    I don't really want to pay $100 for a ABY switch, because I don't need a switch.

2. What exactly is wrong with using a cheap Hosa splitter? It does the job.

What I would do is just grab one of those small Hammond boxes, and drill three holes in it. If you have a few jacks lying around and can source the box locally, then your investment will be under $10.
    HTB1apw1GVXXXXXlXpXXq6xXFXXXh.

Another option, if you are feeling particularly cheap, is to snatch up an aluminum junction box for a couple of dollars, from any hardware store.
    boxes-brackets-521711234ew-25r-64_1000.

3. I think the Hosa Y-Splitter is allowing noise in, since it's unshielded.
    However, it could just be the connection between the two devices causing the noise. If I had an amp with an Effects Send I could just use that to feed the 2nd device.

Hadn't thought of just going to the electrical supply retailer & there's one right near me :wideyed:

4. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Y-splitters are a great way to create ground loops! I'd wager (if I had any money, that is...) that that is actually the source of your noise, not the lack of shielding. Are you using the splitter to feed two amps? Two effects chains?

5. One goes to my amp & the other to my PC, and of course the PC/laptop only has a two-prong power cord.