Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

June 2001 Bass Player mag - Wayne Jones 2x10 review?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Peter Weil, May 26, 2004.

1. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Dear all,

If someone has this mag, could they scan me the Wayne Jones 2x10 review?

I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks.

Pete
    :help:

2. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    yeah are people still playing these cabs....

3. Yeah. I put cracks in walls with my 2 WJ's.

4. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne
    just out of interest how much did u pay? Did u pay the price listed on the website?

The reviews can be found on the website too
    Wayne Jones Cabinets

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    wish i could... :(

who's that one TB'er with the four stack?!?! :scowl:

6. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I seem to have (re)awakened interest in the cabs again.

I'm considering downsizing from my stereo Flite cab (300 watts RMS @ 4ohms/side, each side is a 3-way 2x10 cab; they are built together to make it a 4x10. Each side has 2 10's, a 5" mid, and a tweeter; efficiency rating is 99db@1watt/meter).

However the WJ cabs are so expensive (about £1100 UKP) I have to be sure that:

A) 1 cab would do the job of my 4x10
    B) That I don't need two of them! (Which would mean a poweramp upgrade, more expense, etc etc)

My current pre/power amp setup is Peavey Max Bass Preamp
    -> Peavey DPC 1000 (various ratings: 600W @ 4 ohms with 1 channel driven, 500W @ 4 ohms each into 2 channels, or 1000w bridged into one 8 ohm channel) -> 500W into each side of the Flite cab.

I'm still looking for maximum 'bang for the buck' ie size/loudness/clarity/portability. I settled on the Flite as

A) very even frequency response
    B) weighs only 50 lbs!
    C) reasonably portable
    D) moderately loud

However, I've turned down my poweramp levels as I am afraid of frying the cabinet (the DPC can deliver 500W per side but the Flite cab is rated at 300W per side).

So, that's why I am looking at the info again. If it's too expensive and I'm not sure about it working - then the idea gets canned.

But we'll see.

Pete

7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The Waynes Jones will do A and D, but they weigh 75lbs each - that's a hell of a lot for a 2x10" and certainly not downsizing compared to your Flite!

You shouldn't need to do that - just turn down if you hear any nasty noises. Bass is so dynamic that the average power is highly unlikely to be anywhere near 300W let alone 500W, even if you're running the amp on the edge of clipping. FWIW, I power my Acme Low-B2s with a QSC PLX3002, giving up to 900W RMS into each 350W RMS cab.

Alex

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I unexpectedly found myself playing through one of these cabs recently. We went to watch a band, the bass player recognised me from somewhere and before I knew it, I was on stage playing his gear - Fender Jazz through some sort of pre/poweramp arangement, into a Wayne Jones 2x10. It was leaning against the back wall, angled up at his head so he could hear himself better.

I immediately felt like turning it up a bit. I couldn't hear myself all that well. But I thought better of it when I dug in a bit and heard some distortion form the speaker hitting it's excursion limits. The owner admitted afterwards that he "should" use 2 cabs but he's reluctant to lug any more equipment around.

I saw another bass player who uses WJ cabs a while ago. He uses 2 of them and stacks them longways to create a tower of 10's. He pronounced that he couldn't be happier with them. I found out later he was a Wayne Jones endorsee........

Either way, I trust my ears, and with 2 cabs, I thought it sounded pretty darn good. I personally would think twice about using only 1.

9. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Thanks for your comments guys.

I don't think I've heard of any 2x10 alone that can handle gigs that are moderately loud.

Just another attack of GAS, I guess. And wishful thinking!

I had thought a long time about ACME cabs too but need to have bigger poweramp (at least, looking at other posters and Alex's comments too).

Just need to stick with what I've got!

Pete

10. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    EA 2x10 can handle serious volume alone.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, sounds like you were describing an Acme cab. ;)

but IMHO, if you're gonna splurge for a WJ, which i heard are incredibly expensive, why not go for the waaay less Acme's, and invest in a QSC 2402 or somethin'?

12. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    In the UK, QSC's are very expensive.

I was hoping to try ONE WJ with my current amp. That way I could sell the Flite and recoup a fair bit of the cost of the WJ cab.

Pete

13. I paid $2,250 AUD for each cab. The handles on the cabs
    are perfectly placed which makes carrying them a breeze.
    When I had only 1 cab I was using a Ramsa 1400WP that
    put out 800W into 8 ohms bridged mono which was not
    enough. Then I aquired a QSC PLX 2402 and a BBE 482.
    1500W into 8 ohms bridged mono. Some serious cooking
    began on stage. Later I added a second cab and a MMSR5.
    Out of the frypan and into the fire !!!!!!!!!
    I'm borrowing an Alesis compressor until I can spare some
    cash for a dbx unit.
    One cab with a QSC is plenty for small to medium gigs as
    long as you use a BBE and compressor but if you can afford
    2 cabs, I'd say go for it because 2400W into 4 ohms is an
    experience not to be missed and absolutley mindboggling....

Guaranteed !!!!!

14. I have 3 WJ's, although in most situations I use 2 "towered" for space considerations. I was lucky and bought the very cab that is reviewed in BP and also the 2 that were reviewed by another mag back when the buzz was starting, and got killer prices. I have used 1 cab in small halls, but once you hear 3, it's hard to just use one (I noticed a little farting also when I dug in) I'm fairly skinny and old, but I seem to have no problem with the portability of these killers. 4 would be a real sci-fi SVT experience.

15. My wife Sam just bought 2 of these, and OMG what a sound!

3 would be insane for her, running 2 off her World 1.2 in bridged, 4ohm serial is magnificent.

...now to find the Pre that can match it all!

Wayne Jones may be producing these again in the next year sometime - God knows lots of people are waiting and hoping...