Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Juneau's Artic Wolf (or tell us about your cool pet)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SnoMan, Oct 5, 2005.

1. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    This is a thread for Juneau's pet or other people with cool pets

2. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    [​IMG]

3. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

He rocks.

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I've actually owned many exotic or semi exotic pets. I started with snakes in the 4th grade. I had a great plains ratsnake for 14 years. I got a colombian red tailed boa from a friend down the road. I then got a ferret, as did my roomate.

At one point I had the 2 snakes above, plus a ball python, 2 dogs, 2 ferrets, 4 leaf-tailed geckos and 2 tokay geckos, all in an apartment. Cage cleaning was a lengthy process once a week.

I've tried keeping a few others, Iguana's for one, and found them too time consuming or needy in terms of keeping them healthy and happy. I gave away the ball python, both snakes eventually passed away, both ferrets died, and I got another one that also got sick and died. One of the dogs ran away when my fence came down and I just lost the 2nd dog earlier this year.

I got the wolf in Feb of 1999, and him and my dog Elvis were my two best friends for a long time. Since losing Elvis to cancer, Juneau is my closest friend. He sleeps with me every night, and is always there to greet me with a whine to come in when I get home hehe. I wouldnt trade him for the world, but again, I wouldnt recomend a wolf to anyone as a pet. I consider myself to be rather experienced with more exotic animals, and have owned and bred dogs my whole life. It was not a decision I made lightly, and while Id do it again, I certainly learned a lot about what to do and what not to do the first time around.

This is him :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first two pics are several years old, and you cant judge his size so well in the last one. He's about 115lbs or so now.

5. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    that is one killer animal dude

6. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    If you have any questions I didnt answer, feel free :)

7. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    He's beautiful!!

My cousin had a pet racoon. She had to get rid of it, because it became really viscious as it got older. My sister has a pet rat, which is a suprisingly smart and cool animal.

I had pirhanas for a few years...they were pretty cool.

My girlfriend and I currently have 2 dogs, a japanese fighting fish, and a leopard gecko. The gecko is not ours, we are just gecko-sitting for a few months.

8. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Opps, ya know what, it was 2 leopards and 2 leaftails I had hehe. Also was "gecko" sitting, but then the owner didnt care to have them back so I kept em :)

9. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    A Bassett Hound named Buford T. Justice and 2 hermit crabs. One is named Lemmy, and the other is named Junior. What can I say, my 9yr old son has been on a Motorhead kick lately.

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    We have an indoor Rottie
    2 outdoor dogs, a Husky and a Rat Terrier
    a Parrot, she's a Mexican Redhead or whatever...she's loud
    and a ferret that we loaned to my sister-in-law...

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    That's a beautiful wolf! But you need to go live where there's snow. ;)

12. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Wolves have summer and winter coats, June just doesnt get much of a winter coat ever. Actually, they have two coats, an undercoat and an outter coat. The undercoat just doesnt come in unless it gets a bit colder. He puffs up a bit, but nothing like say this:

[​IMG]

more like this:

[​IMG]

He also doesnt so much shed as he molts hehe. When he drops the bit of winter fur he does put on, its about 2 months of huge clumps of white cottony fur all over the place. You can pull it out by the handfull, and it never seems to stop comming or thinning. You can literally pull handfull and handfull of hair from the same 6"x6" spot on him.

13. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    My neighbor had a friend years ago that had a pet leopard. It used to prowl around the backyard every night, one day a german shepard dug under the fence - bad news. That dog was in pieces the next morning.

Crazy. I don't think I'd ever risk keeping a ferocious animal around, in case a 12 year old started throwing rocks at it and got what was coming.

Heck, my 8 lb house leopard is ferocious enough as it is, hehe.

14. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Thats why he stays in the back yard when Im not home behind his 8ft fence with cinderblocks around the whole fence. He's actually overly friendly, you'd never think of him as ferocious unless you tried taking a bone away or something :D Aside from killing a rabbit when he got out once (during my wolf/houdinni proofing period), he was always found by people and came right up to them tail wagging and tounge hanging out. He doesnt see people as prey, and certainly not as enemies. However, I was lucky the few times it happened. He'd likely just run away from someone throwing rocks, but if a bunch of kids were out running and screaming as they are prone to do...there might have been a few less kids in my neighborhood.

Cornered and scared, or someone threatening me are the only two things Id hate to be on the receiving end of.

15. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Cool!

One of my close friends who I used to live with has a wolf-malamute mix named Cody. A great dog who was/is best friends with my dog Bozo.

I know what you mean about the shedding. Dog hair everywhere in mounds and clumps. You could brush Cody each day and get enough for a sweater. I never knew a dog could shed so much, and this dog did more than any other.

He was a friendly dog, but sorta skittish. Not a vicious wolf like some would expect, he was sort of a scaredy-cat. But when push came to shove......

A great watchdog, and even better companion. This was one of those one owner dogs - he loved who he loved and feared the rest. Hated water, but loved the cold and outdoors. Howled every now and then, and we never quite understood why.

Owning a wolf mix is a little different from owning the typical dog dog, but a great pet none the less.

16. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Mine doesnt like water either, allthough he's learned bath time aint so bad.

Mine only howls when alone. They are simply very social animals, and no amount of being alone will take that out of them. Mine suffers from separation axiety as well, which is why he stays outside when Im not there. He will destroy everything he can out of frustration when left alone in the house. He once took my coffee pot out of the coffee maker off my counter, broke the pot and was chewing on the handle when he couldnt find anything else.

When I had Elvis, they were always together and June never howled, but fought for attention all the time and was sorta unruley cause he's so pushy. When 115lb animal tries climbing in your lap when the other dog is near it can get annoying. I thought he would flip out being alone, but seems to do ok if Im not home. My roomate says he stays quiet and calm when Im not there. Soon as I walk in, or even when I first put him out (which I have to basically force him to go out every morning), he bangs on the sliding glass door for hours. Soon as he hears my car leave, he stops. Ive decided he's much easier to deal with alone that with a 2nd one as big or bigger than him in the picture, so Ive stayed with just the one.

17. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I know what you mean about the seperation anxiety. My dog and Cody both had that, and luckily when they were together they worked that out. When either was alone, they'd try to get out and find something fun to do or someone to play with. On the other hand, when they were together they'd dig in the garbage and other "fun" stuff while we were away.

As far as the jumping on you, I've been there too. You have this mass of hair all over you, and at times you get hit with the worst - hair in the mouth. Cody always tried to sleep in someones bed, and that mean a mouthful of hair in the morning. Pretty gross when you think about it.

They're both old, so it's no big deal for either. But, the dogs would rather have a buddy around than be alone.

18. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    How exactly did you get a wolf all the way down in TX? Was he a rescue? Wild? Bought on EBay?

I used to want a wolf as a pet when I was younger. I now longer feel that way, as much as I love them I think some animals are simply too beautiful to cage, and keeping them in captivity kills something special about them. Not trying to attack you personally, just the way I feel on the subject.

He is beautiful though, your very lucky to have such a creature in your life, I'm glad you appreciate and care for him.

19. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I found an ad in the paper believe it or not, while I was looking for dogs. The woman I got him from had been raising hybrids for 25 years, and all of the animals were calm and happy. I went to meet the parents and see the facility before I decided to get him or not. I actually went to get a female, but there were only 2 left, Juneau and his sister, and his sister was real skittish. I was afraid she might be a fear biter later on, being so scared early. Juneau ran right up to me and jumped up on my leg a bit. I had no choice after that :)

20. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    I live with two cats (they're actually my housemate's), Maynard (who looks like a little grey Kodiak Bear) and Beaumont (who looks like a little shiny black panther).

I also have a life-sized VERY REALISTIC looking plastic Great Horned Owl if that counts :D