Junior Seau, RIP, rumors of self-inflicted gunshot.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tendril, May 2, 2012.

1. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Just heard. Sad.

2. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Wow. One of the greats at his position.

3. fmoore200

fmoore200

Mar 22, 2011
    NYC
    Wow.. this is sad news. Seemed like a genuinely nice guy..

4. Hated the Chargers. Hated the Pats. LOVED Junior Seau. This is heartbreaking and unbelievable. RIP :atoz:

5. buzzbass

buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Oh no, so sad. I still have one of his SD jerseys in my closet

6. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
  7. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    It's pretty much been confirmed as a suicide now. Such a shame. Was not expecting to turn on sportscenter and see something like that. Especially the mother speaking with the press and the small children.

RIP Junior, my thoughts are with his family and friends.

8. RIP Junior Seau. I remember him with the Patriots as a good run stopper with invaluable leadership skills. One of Bill Belichick's favorite players. :crying:

9. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    Oh man another brain trauma related NFL tragedy. Get these boys some better helmets.

10. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Thoroughly Nice Guy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Rest in peace, Junior. Never liked the Patriots (Steeler fan), but the Chargers were cool with me and I've followed the USC Trojans ever since Sam Cunningham ran thru Alabama like grain thru a goose.

Everything below is said with the understanding that this may not be football-related at all, but worded as tho it is.

Better helmets aren't going to stop the injuries- it's part of the game. Big men moving toward each other at high speed results in collisions that can injure body parts, including the brain. I love the NFL, always have, but I understand that it is what it is- violent and potentially life-threatening. If preventing brain-related injuries is a priority for the league, the game will become less violent. If making the game less violent isn't on the table, then stopping injuries like this isn't a primary concern.

11. Where is the link that says he suffered brain trauma? I read one "article" that stated there was brain damage in other NFL players who commited suicide, but other NFL players =/= JS.

12. Just as I was coming back in here to clear this up, chebass comes in and does it. Yeah, the yahoo article references another player who shot himself in the chest so that his brain can be studied. But nothing of the sort has come out about Seau as of yet

13. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    I saw him play when I was in the Navy stationed in San diego. The town loves him and I have always respected him. I even met him once at a signing thing he did at Qualcom. So sad.

14. Is that the same guy who was arrested for domestic abuse? And then drove his SUV off a cliff after he was released?

15. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    According to the article, yes.

16. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    RIP Junior. He was a fun guy to hang with at the local bars down here.. I'll never forget this one time, years back at a place called "The Tavern" in Pacific Beach... Seau was with Tim Dwight, Moses Moreno, and a few other ex-players and Junior was getting hounded by dudes wanting to say hi and drunk chicks trying to get on the train... needless to say he was getting somewhat annoyed. After quite a few drinks Junior comes out of the bathroom with a piece of paper taped to the front of his sweater that said "I'm Not Him".. seeing the looks he was getting was priceless. He was hammered.. it was pretty funny..

17. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Damn, what a shame. I hated when he left the Fins after one year by "retiring" and then went to the Pats. But he's the kind of player it was difficult not to root for. RIP, Junior.

18. RIP, Junior.

19. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    That blew me away when I heard it.. I heard there was a shooting.. and i figured he shot a burglar or something.. I always liked him.. Very sad..

20. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Does no one else find it strange that he was arrested for domestic abuse, the woman he abused "found" him, and he had a gunshot to the chest?

Suicide is normally done pretty convincingly by men. They don't take pills, they shoot themselves in the head or do something else very quick and lethal. Did they even suspect anything but suicide? Just wondering...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021