Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jury Duty!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, May 4, 2004.

1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    when i got the letter to serve, my first thought:

"how can i get out of this?"

but, now that i have an employer that pays up to 28 days, and a co-worker suggested that jury duty could be considered a vacation from the office, i signed up.

i made it to the box of 14 (2 alts).

arguments and deliberation tomorrow.

ya know, i've really enjoyed it.

interesting case. funny judge.

i feel it a privilidge to serve. i've learned a lot and have come to appreciate our "system" even more than before.

i'll never fear those letters again!

f

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Good for you, Fred. And I don't mean that in a cynical way.

You'll have to tell us about the case when it's over.

brad cook

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Every time I call the phone number my group is dismissed. I wonder what the odds are of actually being seated?

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    In Australia the odds are pretty good because you go into a pool of people and keep getting recycled onto jurys for 3 days. If you are not accepted onto a jury after 3 days, then you are "free" to go.

If you are obviously someone who will get bounced (ie KKK member etc) then chances are you will get 3 days of walking into and out of courtrooms :)

Alas, as much as I would like to, I cannot be a member of a jury in Australia. (I think it would be pretty interesting provided you didnt get a molestation or rape case).

5. If you're a Uni student, particularly a Law student, you don't have a chance in hell of being 'required'. Sadly, I am one of those people that would like a chance to sit in as well... :(

Leigh

6. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I went a loooooooooong time without ever getting called for jury duty. Then I had a spell when I got called a LOT. Like four times in the same year. Well the last time, they had brought several of us into one of the courtrooms to be the jury pool for one particular trial, and I knew the defendant!

The one person I hate the most in all Gods' creation is a guy I'll call David W. The trial they were trying to seat us for was the people vs W. Now, it's not often I run into that last name. It's ten letters, four syllables and not at all common. When the first lawyer mentioned the name of the case was'People of Texas vs W. I immediately said 'Is that David W.? Of Cleburne Texas?' and proceeded to ask a couple of quick questions that made it obvious I knew the defendant.

They had me approach the bench and asked how I knew him. I said I could save them some time if whatever he was being tried for, they pushed for execution. They didn't think that was funny at all. They asked me a WHOLE bunch of questions about why I hated him. Both lawyers taking noted furiously. Then they all made unhappy faces and said they would have to get a new jury pool because the pool I had been in might have heard some of my answers and been tainted, or something. Then they sent the pool back downstairs, and sent me home.

I've never been called back. But my wife is frequently sent home as soon as she mentions that she's a social worker or that her husband is a paramedic. I think that's wierd.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I often think it would be interesting and wonder how I got past 40 without doing it - especially as my employer is very good about this as well!! ;)

Not to start a US vs. UK row - but isn't this really the British system, that has been "adopted" by the US along with many others?

8. I seem to get called a few months after I vote in a presidential election.

EVERYTIME!

Bruce, I think you are correct in your assumption. ;)

Mike

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    -no wonder it's so inexplicable....;)

10. If I ever get the call, I'll impress them all with my extensive legal knowlege, and my impressive detective skills. I watch all the Law & Orders!!!

Don't for get about Cold Case Files, City Confidential, Forensic Files. I love that stuff.

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Minus the powdered wigs and robes (except for the judge, who does wear a robe).

Unfortunately, few judges look like Amy Brenneman of the TV show Judging Amy. Well, maybe that's a good thing after all.

In 21 years living in Connecticut, I was never called for jury duty. Then I move to California, and I get a jury summons from the Tolland County Superior Court (or something like that) back in Connecticut. I don't remember if there was a "moved away" option on the reply card, but I indicated that I was no longer living in the region. And then within my first three years in California, I received two jury summonses, and the second time I actually got picked to be in a civil trial.

As much as I didn't want to be on a jury, I figured I should be the kind of juror I would want on the panel if I were the plaintiff or defendant. It was interesting.

12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    They never seem to want my services. I mean, I always tell them, "You should really put me on the jury--I can spot a guilty person just like that."

I always get sent home. ;)

Seriously, I used to skip school and go and watch jury trials. How messed up was I as a high school student? :ninja:

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I think the mentality toward jury duty in this country is appalling. Most of the people clammoring to get out of it are the ones spewing their patriotism at you. We all want the rewards of this country, but with none of the work.

That being said, I've been summoned only once, and served on a 6 week murder/death penalty trial.

14. I did jury service in 2000.
    it was a drug smuggling case (Greek Cypriot foodstuff importer caught distributing heroin brought into the UK concealed in books), and it was obvious to everyone on the jury that the accused was guilty, but most of them seemed more concerned about small flaws in the prosecution's evidence (the surveillance operation was pretty sloppily organised).

3 of us voted guilty, but as time went on it became clear no-one would change their verdict, and we'd be stuck there until the case was thrown out, so I backed down, and a majority verdict of not guilty was passed.
    a disillusioning and depressing experience, unfortunately:(

15. toytech

toytech

Mar 22, 2004
    San Leandro
    I get at least two notices a year, once two on the same day. If you vote you are more likely to be called. Never ended up on the jury though, either pleaded out or dismissed every time.

16. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    in California, initial selection is now drawn from driver's licenses too.

even more appalling is the fact that people don't register to vote because they are worried about getting called for jury duty.

with the driver's license pool now available, you can go back to voting.

:rolleyes:

REGISTER and VOTE!

f

17. http://www.courts.qld.gov.au/practice/lawlist/beenleigh.htm

I've been served! Looks like I'm up for empanelling tomorrow. Who votes that 'S' is guilty? If I get on the jury then I feel so very sorry for my fellow jurors. My pay increases if the trial lasts for 20 days - rest assured I'm gonna go the distance!

Leigh

18. I've been called to for jury duty several times, but never served. Whenever they asked me if I had developed an opinion, I answered, "He looks guilty to me." Seems to work.

Now that I'm in the military and live outside of my state of legal residence, I don't have to worry about it anymore...for a while anyways.

19. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I was called last March, and got to the point that I was in the box being interviewed for a murder trial. Turned out I knew the defendant's family from the racetrack, so I didn't get picked. But I was amused at the excuses people come up with to try and get out of jury duty......things like "my friends Mother's Brother's Sister's Uncle's Cousin's friend got a speeding ticket once, and it deeply saddened me, so I dont think I'm fit for jury duty...." or "I was traumatized by a parking ticket 35 years ago...."

Whatever :rolleyes:

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm going in on December 9th. I'll do it. The last time I had jury duty was when I was a hippie in the late '70s. Served on the trial of a kid who tried to pick up a working girl who turned out to be a cop. We let the poor sucker off. Oh, he did it alright, but the two cops who were witnesses had completely different stories. They couldn't even agree on what kind of car he was driving. They'd have had a better chance for conviction if one of them had stayed home. Now there was one pissed-off prosecutor. You know, here he's got some long-haired hippie jury foreman telling him the guy did it, but his case just plain sucked.