1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jury Duty

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by oldrocker, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Go Back to work for the rest of the afternoon

8.3%
  2. You enjoy an afternoon off and go back to work the next day

86.1%
  3. You ask if you can come back to jury duty again the next day

5.6%
  1. oldrocker

oldrocker Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Some background

- I work for a large corporation. They are required by state law to pay me for time served on jury duty.
    - I am responsible for my own work, no one gets saddled with any additional duties or tasks if I'm out of the office for a day or 2.
    - This is a civil court, people are suing each other, no one is going to jail.

2. If your job is that flexible and you're salary and not up hard against a deadline, go home.

Tbone76, bolophonic and Tom Lane like this.
  3. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

My experience with corporations is they will mercilessly demand you to go above and beyond, but... repaying the favor... not so much. My 3rd best boss told me "Enjoy it while it lasts... they'll demand 120 hours a week from you within the year." He wasn't wrong.

The agreement is for 40 hours ON AVERAGE as long as your work is complete. Not too many corporate jobs can be kept by working 40 hours a week. I've been on both sides of this... we're all victims.

4. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I've had a somewhat similar issue.
    In Ireland we get called and are requested to attend court each morning for a week.
    Juries are selected up to about midday and if not selected you're free to go until the next day.

Now I work late shift and it took several discussions with HR before they decided I should stay off work.
    To be honest I was quite happy to come in, but legally they felt I shouldn't.
    Apparently it's a bit of a grey area but there is legal precedent here that the intent of the law doesn't cover the modern-day reality of people working over weekends and throughout the 24 hours of the day.
    Funnily enough, the first day we attended was a bank holiday so we were sent home.
    The next day apparently there wasn't enough court officers who turned up so home we went again.

Obviously it may work differently in the States...

oldrocker and 47th Street like this.
  5. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Take the day off.

Trust me. They will get more than their half day's moneys worth out of you at some point - probably in the not distant future.

And I assume your boss never takes a half day ever.

Michedelic likes this.
  6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I did exactly this on Monday. Reported, wasn't chosen, used the afternoon to catch up on errands.

7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I was once called for jury duty in a high profile local murder trial. It took the better part of a week to select the jury and I was in the prospect pool right up to the selection of alternates.

LSS, I went back to work and the company I worked for refused to pay me for the time off because I was not selected even though company policy clearly stated that employees would receive their regular rate if called for jury duty, for the duration of that service. I called the DA who I got to know during the selection process and he made a call and within a few hours my boss came out to my office and threw a check on my desk and stormed out.

He scratched his mad place for a few weeks before he got over it.

Tbone76, 47th Street and Oddly like this.
  8. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    The policy where I work is simple; 1 day of jury duty = 8 hours on your time sheet as "jury duty", whether you're there all day or not. Easy-peasy...;)

9. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I was called back in May. The manager here told me I couldn't have the day off for jury duty. OK--fine. He even sent me an email saying as much.

I called the County Clerk and told them the situation. They took names, ranks, and serial numbers. Two days later, I was contacted by HR and told to report for jury duty on my appointed day.

In short--the company as well as the manager were charged with misdemeanor contempt of court. This was the second time in 6 months that this happened at the company. Have they learned their lesson? I doubt it.

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    TB in your underwear while eating ridiculous amounts of food that is just awful for you. Flash the mailman. Launch eggs into your neighbor's yard. Go nuts. Have fun.

If you decide to sing in a parade, go to a ballgame and steal your dads classic Ferrari, I'm in!
    ferris.jpg

Tbone76 and Oddly like this.
  11. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    I recommend pepperoncini as a dietary supplement.
    When I had jury duty, I would go back to work when I got off early. Didn’t have to but I was bored otherwise.

Had a friend who’s company would pay for time off, but demanded his jury duty pay. It amounted to around $12 a day, IIRC. Seemed kinda petty.

Aberdumbie likes this.
  12. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    And almost certainly illegal.

Aberdumbie, Tbone76 and bolophonic like this.
  13. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I think that may be the policy as far as the law is concerned too. My jury duty was over in about 4 hours but the letter they gave me says I served one day.
    IMG_20170928_114401.jpg

14. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Gold Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Liberty Township
    The company I work for pays employees for jury time. I expect them to go to work if they are released.

15. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

The last time I was released from jury duty in the early afternoon I called my boss and he said, "See you tomorrow."
    The next time I got selected for a case and my bike was stolen from in front of the hall of injustice. :sour:

Tbone76 and 12BitSlab like this.
  16. I'd stop home for lunch first after that, right to my office to finish out the day. No one but me doe my job, so when I am not in, the work piles up. In fact I have jury duty Nov 1st they get me every 3 years like clock work.

17. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    If the OP feels weird about it, he or she should go back to work. Me? I'm responsible for my own results, so I would do whatever I felt like doing that day vis-a-vis whatever deadlines I was facing at the time.

Aberdumbie likes this.
  18. fingerguy

fingerguy Inactive

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Answer: Think for yourself. Me personally I would take the rest of the day off. When I was in this situation we were let go at 4:30pm. Boy that sucked.

19. oldrocker

oldrocker Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I did think for myself, was just curious what everyone else would do. I picked option 3 and asked to come back the next day. They were surprised but allowed me to come back. On the 2nd day I got as a far as the interview room with the lawyers for the case but they selected all the jurors they needed before the got around to questioning me.

After the interview room I was released again. I took the rest of that day off and went back to work the next day.

Bottom line - I did my civic duty and then some, got 2 days off from work and heard some interesting questions and answers in the interview room.

Oddly likes this.
  20. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    Well.... From the other side of the fence here... I am the boss. First one at work. Last one to leave. Was in the hospital not long ago and one of my guys had to ask me how the alarm works..... I average 60 hours plus at work every week. My guys work hard too and are well compensated. They need a day off, I totally get it and it's never a problem..... Once though I catch a lie. Even a small lie.... You are never fully trusted again...... Yeah it's a small thing relaxing four hours after a short jury duty. But is it really worth the reputation you may earn?

12BitSlab likes this.